Running VistA on the open source Linux operating system has proven to be the most cost effective, secure, and stable solution. Crawford, who is the CEO and President of The Linux ETC Company (“Linux ETC”), will teach all the core elements of Linux for beginners who are seeking to learn how to run VistA or other open source EHRs on the Linux platform. Other training classes at the VISTA Academy offer more advanced training topics specifically related to VistA as well as the MUMPS database. Crawford, has provided in-depth training and advice on Linux to the VistA community through his active participation at multiple VistA conferences in the past decade as well as hands-on work with the community.
Topics during the Linux Essentials course include the following:
● Linux and Open Source community.
● Finding your way around a Linux system.
● The power of the command line.
● The Linux operating system.
● Security and file permissions.
Topics for the Beginning Linux Systems Administration course include the following:
● System architecture.
● Installation and package management.
● GNU and UNIX commands.
● Devices, Linux file systems, and Linux file hierarchy standards.
● Shells, scripting, and data management.
● User interfaces and desktops.
● Administrative tasks.
● Essential system services.
● Networking fundamentals.
Register for the classes here.
In addition to Crawford's classes, the VISTA Academy 2013 includes a full slate of training classes. The VISTA Academy has class offerings appropriate to managers, IT staff, and clinicians. Multi-day classes are offered in VistA Foundations, FIS GT.M Administration & Operations, EWD, and Intersystems’
The nine different classes covering a range of VistA-related topics are as follows:
● VistA Foundations (October 18–21)—Greg Kreis
● GT.M Administration & Operations (October 19–21)—K. S. Bhaskar
● EWD Lite (October 19–21)—Rob Tweed
● Building Analytics with VISTA and DeepSee (October 20–21)—Kenneth Poindexter
● Clinical Reminders (October 20)—Peder Hall
● CPRS and Pharmacy (October 21)—Jeanette Klement & Marvin Friedman
● Linux Essentials (October 21)—Crawford Rainwater
● Beginning Linux Systems Administration (October 20)-Crawford Rainwater
● Technical VistA Systems (October 21)—Larry Landis
The VISTA Academy 2013 and the VISTA Expo & Symposium are hosted by the VISTA Expertise Network (VEN). The back-to-back meetings provide a unique opportunity for VistA thought leaders, decision-makers, vendors, adopters, and end-users to meet in a professional conference environment. The four-day program of the VISTA Expo & Symposium, Oct. 22-25, features daily keynote addresses on major VistA topics, as well as a full range of panels, presentations and round table discussions.
About Linux ETC
The Linux ETC Company is a Linux training and Open Source consulting firm that provides a framework and leadership to enhance, develop, and better life-long professionals in Linux and Open Source technologies. Established as a private company in August 1998 by Crawford Rainwater, The Linux ETC Company assists the Open Source health community in establishing and building the foundation by advocating stable, secure, and cost effective solutions using Open Source based technologies.