The study also revealed that:
· “freedom” is the main reason why people tend to choose rent privately owned properties - 33% said this was the most important reason (more than double the 14% who cited the cost as the main consideration);
· female holidaymakers were almost as more than twice as likely than their male counterparts to stay in private property (24% vs. 13%);
· the most prolific private renters, age-wise, are in the 18-29 age band (33%), then those in the 50-59 age bracket (15%).
When asked: “When you go on holiday, no matter what your accommodation choice, location-wise, where do you prefer to stay?” the survey highlighted how:
· 49% of people choose accommodation near a beach;
· 18% prefer a combined city / beach holiday (eg. Barcelona in Spain, Nice in France etc);
· just 8% prefer to get away from it all and stay somewhere rural.
The poll also asked: “When choosing your accommodation, what is the most important thing you require?”
· 58% said an ensuite room or one with private bathroom facilities;
· 21% of respondents said air conditioning;
· 18% of holidaymakers require a balcony or terrace.
*Carried out on behalf of Holiday Let Mortgages by Usurv, September 2013