San Angelo grew steadily as the largest trading center in the region after World War II doubling in population from 1940 to 1950. Growth was spurred by oil production west of the city, construction of the Goodfellow Air Force Base, and the establishment of local ranches to raise sheep, goats and cattle.
San Angelo had its share of regional and national businesses such as Woolworth, S.H. Kress & Co., Sears, and Safeway, and the booming economy included many local businesses that thrived and expanded in the 1950s. Businesses in downtown San Angelo moved to the suburbs or completely went out of business in accordance with the national trend. In recent years, however, the downtown has seen a rebirth thanks to visionary individuals with projects such as a new fine art museum and a department store converted into the central library. Many other developments are on the horizon.
The majority of the images found in this book have been collected from the West Texas Collection and Fort Concho Archives.
Available at area bookstores, independent retailers, and online retailers, or through Arcadia Publishing at (888)-313-2665 or online.
Arcadia Publishing is the leading publisher of local and regional history in the United States. Our mission is to make history accessible and meaningful through the publication of books on the heritage of America’s people and places. Have we done a book on your town? Visit www.arcadiapublishing.com.