Public clouds are also commonly referred to as shared clouds and they are becoming more common on the internet especially with companies like Google, Amazon and Apple who all have their own shared cloud services. Public cloud is typically chosen by start ups because, of one reason: it’s an affordable way for companies to back up their data to the cloud without having to invest a lot of money but, before you invest in a shared cloud service, there is a downside to shared cloud that you need to know:
• Security – Security breaches in shared cloud environments are common and your data could be stolen.
• Ease of use – Some shared cloud services are not easily accessible by portable devices like the iPhone.
• Reliability – The shared cloud service could go out of business, without warning and leave you unable to retrieve your files.
• No technical support – Some public cloud services are notorious for bad customer service and don’t offer any technical support to speak of.
• Scale up or scale down – If your business experiences peak times of year like Christmas or Thanksgiving, you might be penalized for scaling up or down, even worse, you might not be able to scale up or down to meet the demands of your business.
Private clouds are typically deployed over a company intranet or they are hosted in a Portland Oregon Colocation or datacenter of the customers choosing. Private clouds require more of an investment than public clouds but the investment is worth it especially if a company wants to protect their critical data and have confidence that they will be able to offer the best Software as a Service SAAS to their customers without any of the glitches that may come from public cloud. Private cloud is also a great solution for any company that wants to be able to scale up or scale down without being penalized and faced with having to pay higher costs.
To learn more about the best private cloud solutions and receive a free, cloud consulting consultation, contact the Astoundcom team today at (800) 795-5850 ext 502 or visit our website http://www.astoundcom.com.