I Breathe took an entire year to complete and focuses on the big business of breeding purebred puppies. The documentary will open your eyes to the need for public awareness and make you question why domestic animals are treated as commodities. The story begins with Lily, an 8-year-old Italian Greyhound that was purchased at a dog auction for twenty dollars. She was disfigured from years of not having the proper care and found her forever home with Theresa Strader and her family. Lily was the driving force behind National Mill Dog Rescue, headquartered in Peyton, Colorado. Theresa Strader and the volunteers at National Mill Dog Rescue have saved nearly five thousands dogs in just a few years, all in Lily’s memory.
I Breathe chronicles what is involved on a rescue mission and profiles some of the dogs that are on their way to a new life. The documentary takes you inside a commercial dog breeding kennel and top professionals in the industry attend an unprecedented meeting to discuss why there is so much secrecy and a reluctance to talk to the media. Additional elements include:
· Dog auctions and perspective regarding why they exist
· Undercover video of a big money-making kennel
· An interview with the breeders of “Bo Obama” and their views on dog breeding
· Mike Arms, president of the Helen Woodward Animal Center, tells his compelling story of why he devoted his life to saving animals
· A grim, yet necessary segment on the consequences of irresponsible owners and overcrowded shelters
· The celebration of dogs that now have new lives
A digital download is available on Amazon Instant Video at the following link: www.amazon.com/
Clips are available at http://www.imdb.com/
The DVD can be ordered at the following links: www.amazon.com/
I Breathe was produced, directed, written and edited by Jene Nelson. She is a multiple Emmy Award winning producer and the recipient of several Associated Press and Colorado Broadcasters Association Awards. Jene has taught classes on writing and producing and is a former Miss Colorado USA and competed in the 1979 Miss USA Pageant.