PRLog - April 29, 2010 - SAN ANTONIO, TX – A new study published in Injury(1) found an association between depression and anxiety disorders in instances of facial trauma resulting in visible scarring. According to researchers at the Department of Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery, University Hospital Coventry & Warwickshire (UHCW), UK, anxiety and depression may be a cause of significant morbidity in patients sustaining maxillofacial injury.
InviCible Scars Advanced Scar Therapy
Fifty (50) adult patients attending the maxillofacial outpatient clinic following facial trauma were asked to complete the Hospital Anxiety and Depression Scale (HADS), over a period of two months, from June 2008 to Aug 2008. Data gathered from this group of patients was compared to 50 adult control subjects who were under follow-up following elective oral and maxillofacial surgery. Researchers also looked at several demographic and other variables to assess its association with poor mental health outcomes.
Ten patients (20%) in the facial trauma group achieved high scores suggestive of a probable state of anxiety and depression. The mean score for depression was significantly higher in the facial trauma group compared to the control group. Additionally, other variables significantly associated with high depression scores in the facial trauma group were female sex, presence of a permanent facial scar, and a past psychiatric history. There was also significant correlation between patients' self-perception of facial disfigurement and scores obtained for both anxiety and depression.
This study supports the critical need for the identification and treatment of depression and anxiety in patients that suffer scarring from facial trauma.
1. Islam S, Ahmed M, Walton GM, Dinan TG, Hoffman GR. The association between depression and anxiety disorders following facial trauma – a comparative study. Injury. 2010 Jan;41(1):92-
Introducing InviCible Scars™ Advanced Scar Therapy
Now, a NEW, advanced topical scar treatment, InviCible Scars™ (http://www.inviciblescars.com) , addresses facial scars, acne blemishes, burns, stretch marks, hyper-pigmentation and hypertrophic scars – from surgery, skin injury and pregnancy – better than ever before. It will also improve the results of micro-dermabrasion, laser resurfacing and chemical peels.
InviCible Scars™ represents five years of some of the best minds, nationally-acclaimed PhD’s, chemists and formulators, coming together to develop a skincare product unlike any other. Conceived by breast reconstruction surgeon, Minas T. Chrysopoulo, MD, InviCible Scars™ combines a patent-pending blend of naturally-derived collagen boosters, intensive moisturizers, pigment lighteners and essential fatty acids – along with the safest form of silicone gel – to help speed the healing process, smooth skin texture and even out skin tone.
Equally as important, InviCible Scars™ is hypo-allergenic. It DOES NOT contain any ingredient that’s controversial, inconclusive, superfluous or potentially harmful, including D4 and D5 forms of silicone, commonly found in existing scar treatments. The anhydrous formula (formulated without water) is both preservative (paraben) and fragrance-free, and also avoids alcohol, mineral oil and petroleum.
“I’ve seen so many scar treatments that simply don’t work, I felt it was important that I develop a product that my patients could trust, that was backed by science, and that didn’t contain any ingredients that could potentially contribute to skin irritation or toxicity – particularly for my patients who’ve battled and survived breast cancer” says Dr. Chrysopoulo, one of the nation’s top practitioners in DIEP flap breast reconstruction. “InviCible is more than a scar treatment, it helps restore confidence in people who have come through a very low point in their lives in terms of self image.”
Scar Healing Science:
Scars can take up to two years to heal, and the speed and quality of healing is determined by various factors including age, genetics wound location, infection, and lifestyle factors like smoking and sun exposure.
InviCible Scars™ combines the following scientifically-
* ProBiosyn-4 – a patent pending blend of four powerful natural ingredients that help decrease inflammation, improve wound healing, optimize skin moisture and lighten dark pigmentation (hyper-pigmentation):
- Aloe Vera – referred to as “nature’s gift", aloe accelerates wound healing, decreases inflammation, stimulates new skin growth through amino acids, and provides anti-fungal and anti-bacterial benefits.
- Linoleic Acid (Safflower Seed Oil) and Oleic Acid (Sunflower Seed Oil) – these two essential fatty acids (EFA’s) help regenerate the skin’s lipid layer (crucial for retaining moisture), improve wound healing and scar elasticity, and help lighten dark pigment.
- Licorice (Stearyl Glycyrrhetinate)
* Dual Vitamin C Complex – this potent anti-oxidant helps heal scars by normalizing collagen formation. Untreated skin produces disorganized, haphazard or over-production of collagen. InviCible Scar's Vitamin C Complex helps to organize collagen and improve its formation, yielding faster and more even scar healing. Additionally, InviCible Scar’s Vitamin C Complex can aid in lightening hyper-pigmentation by more than 80%.
* Dimethicone Silicone Gel – improves skin hydration and elasticity. Shown to be as effective and safe as silicone sheeting in improving scar appearance but has the added benefit of being much more user-friendly.
Apply InviCible Scars™ scar cream after initial scar healing occurs (skin heals over) or dark pigmentation is noted. Apply a thin film to the wound site, 2 – 3 times a day, massaging it into the area until the cream is absorbed. Keep scars out of the sun or cover with a minimum of SPF 30 sunscreen to prevent permanent redness or discoloration. DO NOT apply InviCible Scars to open wounds.
InviCible Scars™ is now available at http://www.inviciblescars.com, as well as select doctor’s offices and med-spas.
Suggested retail price: $82 for 0.9 oz/ml tube (about a 2-month supply).
# # #
Lori Diamond Public Relations is a boutique publicity and marketing communications consulting practice specializing in emerging beauty, accessories and lifestyle brands. www.loridiamondpr.com