PRLog - Feb. 14, 2013 - COLOMBO, Sri Lanka -- A P Moller -Maersk one of the biggest vessel operators globally with over 600 vessels places repeated confidence in Colombo for repairs, when one of the latest container carriers in their fleet Safmarine Ngami (DWT: 35,119, LOA: 210.00 M, Beam: 29.80 M) called in for her first special survey repairs during January 2013.
MV. Safmarine Ngami accommodated in 125,000 DWT Dock No. 04
The container carrier Safmarine Ngami called in for her first special survey and drydocking repairs to Colombo on the 18th of January. Colombo Dockyard was selected on the excellent repairs carried out on MV. Maersk Ronneby also owned by the same owners during February 2012 successfully.
The Colombo Dockyard was the best option for the owners/ managers given the strategic location placing the vessel on the trading route, the vessel discharged her containers in the Port of Colombo and shifted directly into drydocks for her lay-up repairs. Colombo’s flexibility was evident, when the vessel was accommodated in drydock on the same day of completion of cargo, one day ahead of the committed date. The repairs were completed on schedule meeting owner’s requirements.
During this drydocking call the work package covered repairs in all sectors;
• Main job was blasting & painting of hull, as Owners were highly concerned on the vessel's speed & fuel consumption, which highly depends on the vessel's hull condition.
• As per job specification full blasting (SA 2.5) on flat bottom & vertical bottom areas were carried out.
• The hull treatment team played a key role during this project and the initial paint coat was totally removed to apply the new scheme of paints. The hull treatment team comprising of Mr. Rajawasan & Mr. Nishantha were instrumental in completing the coating work within the time frame, even though there were weather interruptions during the vessel’s stay. The advanced coating type HEMPEL'S ANTI-FOULING DYNAMIC 79560, was used for the first time in Sri Lanka.
• Main Engine was of MAN B&W 7L70ME-C, a camshaft-less engine, with full electronically controlled fuel injection, cylinder lubrication and exhaust v/v operation, illustrates the high sophistication of the vessel.
• Bow thruster, Stern tube seal and ME turbocharger repairs were attended by OEMs, but well supported by yard team headed by Mr. D.S. Arangala. Regular DD jobs such as overboard valves, sea valves, boiler mountings etc were also completed as per spec.
• Deck side, Electrical & Steel repairs were carried out by yard personal, well guided by the respective Ship Repair Engineers Mr. Asanka, Mr. Munaweera and Mr. Thivanka.
The owner’s interests were looked after by Mr. Anand Chaudhari – Fleet Superintendent, Mr. Suresh Verma –Superintendent and Mr. Clyde Peres – Fleet Group Manager, Technical Operations. The project team was headed by Ship Manager Mr. Samitha Silva – who was well supported by all production departments to re-deliver the vessel on schedule.
The owners were happy with the excellent facilities at their disposal coupled with the quality workmanship, professional approach to meet the owners requirements were highly appreciated. The container carrier was accommodated in the 125,000 DWT drydock for her repair requirements and sailed out direct from the drydocks to the loading berth in the port of Colombo. The repairs were carried out meeting the Class American Bureau of Shipping society requirements. Prudential Shipping Lines (PTE) Ltd. handled the local husbanding work smoothly.
Emergence of Colombo as hub for container traffic, places Colombo Dockyard as a serious candidate for many leading container carriers touching Colombo, for her repair requirements. (Drydocking / afloat). The maritime industry in Sri Lanka has seen rejuvenated activity with the recent developments and further increase in activity should be visible with the starting of the operation of Colombo South port by mid 2013. Given these positive developments the main shipping lines are looking at Colombo/ Sri Lanka as a serious destination for their drydocking repairs and marine requirements.
"... an Odyssey of Excellence" ®