Broadband via satellite back in the news
According to Maxime Baudry, the report’s Project Leader, ‘Two-way solutions have been developing for several years now, allowing users to do away with the need for a telephone connection. While traditionally using the Ku band, the Ka band was introduced in 2005 as an added alternative’
Main conclusions of this IDATE report
• IDATE estimates that there were still over 30 million households in Europe and North Africa that were not covered by a terrestrial broadband solution in 2008, or 16% less than in 2007. More than half of these households are located in North Africa.
• After having emerged in North America and Asia, satellite broadband in the Ka band was introduced in Europe in mid-2007 and has since proven a popular solution for several European telecom operators looking to cover the several thousand customers still cut off from the digital world.
• The market expected to enjoy the highest rate of growth in the coming years is the Ka-band satellite market, especially thanks to wide-reaching government plans to reduce the digital divide.
• The revival of the satellite broadband market has been enabled by a massive drop in the price of terminals, combined with the introduction of the Ka band which has helped bring down the price of bandwidth considerably.
• In the battle with terrestrial technologies, and particularly wireless ones (3G and WiMAX), satellite technology needs to leverage its assets, the main one being immediate availability at a reasonable cost.
IDATE’s analysis includes four strategic scenarios based on four geographical zones defined according to key criteria that allow us to establish the most suitable positioning to adopt for marketing a satellite broadband service in each.
About IDATE www.idate.org
Founded in 1977, IDATE is one of Europe’s foremost market analysis and consulting firms, whose mission is to provide assistance in strategic decision-making for its clients in the Telecom, Internet and Media industries, through the following two areas of activity:
Consulting & Research
• An independent consultancy:
• Analysis reports: IDATE’s clients benefit from the knowledge and expertise of its teams of specialists, and from its ongoing investment in its information and strategic monitoring system: publication of reports, databases, online services, analyst hotline…
IDATE is also instrumental in providing a forum for international debate between the industry’s key players through its annual DigiWorld programme, supported by its members representing the sector’s most prominent companies:
• DigiWorld Network
A series of monthly meetings in European capitals and international business trips
• DigiWorld Events
The DigiWorld Summit annual conference and a series of associated seminars devoted to the year’s central issues
• DigiWorld Publishing
The DigiWorld Yearbook and the DigiWorld Economic Journal (Communications & Strategies)
Contact Presse : Presse & Technologies
Philippe GRAND, firstname.lastname@example.org
Emmanuelle RENAULD, email@example.com
Tel : 01 56 56 64 64 / 57 IDATE
Tel : 04 67 14 44 07