The main reason why it is not popular as expected is that Beidou-1 terminal is far more expensive than US's GPS terminal. Its price is about 20,000 CNY, while normal GPS only costs several thousand CNY.
I have been curious about why its price is so high. As Qi Faren (Chinese Academy of Engineering)
Today I learn that in February 2008, a chip called "Pilotage No. 1" has been developed by a company in Shanghai. The chip is fully demestically-
Hope that it is true.
How Beidou-1 works, the following procedure is utilized:
1. A signal is transmitted skyward by a remote terminal.
2. Each of the geostationary satellites receive the signal.
3. Each satellite sends the accurate time of when each received the signal to a ground station.
4. The ground station calculates the longitude and latitude of the remote terminal, and determines the altitude from a relief map.
5. The ground station sends the remote terminal's 3D position to the satellites.
6. The satellites broadcast the calculated position to the remote terminal.
# # #
About: China defense, military, blog articles, I will try to give my ideas and points of view. Could you please leave some comments if you have any opinion or thought?