- Sept. 18, 2023
-- Kroger and Albertsons, two of the nation's leading supermarket chains, have announced a strategic move in their ongoing merger process. In a bid to secure regulatory approval for their merger, the companies are set to divest over 400 stores across the United States. Among the brands affected by this divestiture is the beloved Mariano's chain.
This significant development comes as both Kroger and Albertsons take proactive measures to address antitrust concerns and pave the way for their merger, which was first announced in early 2022.
- Divestiture of Over 400 Stores: Kroger and Albertsons will be selling a combined total of more than 400 stores in various locations to alleviate antitrust concerns and secure regulatory approval for their merger. The divestiture will impact several supermarket brands operated by both companies.
- Impact on Mariano's: The Mariano's brand, known for its commitment to quality and exceptional customer experience, will be one of the affected chains as a result of this divestiture. While specific details about which Mariano's locations will be sold have not been disclosed, both Kroger and Albertsons remain dedicated to preserving the Mariano's legacy in the communities it serves.
- Continued Commitment to Customers: Kroger and Albertsons emphasize their ongoing commitment to providing high-quality products, excellent customer service, and competitive pricing. Customers can expect a seamless transition as the divested stores are transferred to new ownership.
- Regulatory Approval: The divestiture is part of Kroger and Albertsons' comprehensive strategy to gain regulatory approval for their merger, a move that will create one of the largest supermarket chains in the country. The companies will continue to work closely with regulatory agencies to ensure a smooth and timely approval process.
- Future Expansion and Innovation: Despite the divestiture of certain stores, Kroger and Albertsons are committed to growth and innovation within the grocery industry. They plan to invest in enhancing the customer experience, expanding their digital offerings, and exploring new ways to serve their communities.
Both Kroger and Albertsons express their gratitude to their loyal customers and dedicated associates who have contributed to the success of their respective brands over the years. The companies remain dedicated to providing value, convenience, and exceptional products to their customers, both now and in the future.
For more information and updates on the divestiture and the merger between Kroger and Albertsons, please visit the official websites of both companies or contact their respective media relations departments.