Follow on Google News
News By Tag
News By Location
Follow on Google News
Valerie's House Awards $54,000 in College Scholarships for Local Grieving Students
It's the second year that Valerie's House has offered the scholarships of $1,000 to $2,500 per year for four years. Six local students were chosen based on an essay they each wrote about their personal grief story and how their loss shaped them as the person they are and the person they want to become.
The scholarship recipients are:
● Jason Bishop of Fort Myers, who graduated from Bishop Verot High School and plans to attend Florida Gulf Coast University;
● Jacob Jordan of Fort Myers, who graduated from North Fort Myers High School and plans to attend Florida Gulf Coast University;
● Kaitlyn McCormack of Naples, who graduated from Barron Collier High School and plans to attend Florida SouthWestern State College;
● Sam Mejia of Naples, who graduated from Lorenzo Walker Technical High School and plans to attend Florida Gulf Coast University;
● Bailey Spotz of Fort Myers, who graduated from Cape Coral High School and plans to attend Florida Gulf Coast University; and.
● Kendall Sulmasy of Naples, who graduated from The Village School in Naples and is undecided on which college to attend.
"We believe it is important to empower our youth to strive for big things and to know that loss doesn't have to limit their dreams," said Valerie's House Founder and CEO Angela Melvin. "We are very grateful to our donors who have made this scholarship program possible."
The scholarship funds may be used for classes, materials, or anything they need during the school year.
"The students are asked to check in with Valerie's House each college semester and tell us something that they worked through that was challenging during the semester, and something great that they believe they might have accomplished, " Melvin said.
To donate and help the Valerie's House Scholarship Fund, visit www.valerieshouse.org/
Valerie's House provides a safe, comfortable place for children and their families to heal together following the death of someone they love. Valerie's House offers support groups and other activities at a home on 1762 Fowler Street in Fort Myers and a home in Naples at 819 Myrtle Terrace. Valerie's House also holds group meetings in Charlotte County. Valerie's House is a United Way partner agency and is fully supported by community donations. More information can be found at www.valerieshouse.org.
Susan Bennett Marketing & Media, L.C.