Follow on Google News
News By Tag
News By Place
Follow on Google News
Ann Arbor Home Remodeling Company Helps Homeowners with Aging-in-Place Design
By: Alpha Design + Build
Have you spent weeks planning and designing your dream home?
When you put so much effort into making your home the perfect space for your family, the thought of leaving it when you're older can be disheartening.
According to AARP, "Data shows that 77 percent of adults 50 and older want to remain in their homes for the long term — a number that has been consistent for more than a decade."
Multi-generational home design is becoming more and more popular, especially with the passing of the COVID-19 pandemic, where more of us were at home, getting to know our neighbors, and spending time making our homes into our oasis.
Here are some home design tips to consider incorporating into your remodel that will help keep you in your home longer:
1. Wall switches with LED nightlights
2. Pull-down shelving in upper wall cabinets (this avoids the need for a step stool, which can increase the risk of a fall in older adults)
3. LED-integrated light fixtures where bulbs don't need to be replaced
Additionally, here are some room-specific tips:
First, for the overall floor plan:
1. Consider making your main living space on a single story, including a full bath
2. Get rid of any steps between rooms/areas on the main level
3. Hallways should be wide and well-lit
4. Add plenty of windows for natural light, but make sure they have easy to operate hardware
More aging-in-place home remodeling tips on our website: https://www.alphadesignbuild.com/
About Alpha Design + Build: A combination of great clients and a dedication to unparalleled customer service has kept Alpha growing and creating smiles since 1989. In fact, a significant portion of our business comes from repeat clients and referrals. It is our vision that we will always be known as a company that delivers a high degree of service, professionalism, and craftsmanship with integrity. Although Ann Arbor is our home, we've been working with building officials in jurisdictions from Jackson to Livonia since 1989. You can be confident that your project will be designed right the first time and will meet local requirements.