News By Tag
News By Place
Follow on Google News
So, you want to go shark cage diving in Gansbaai?
By: Apex Predators
The Internet is a great source of information however it is also a medium whereby companies make claims, promises and raise expectations in order to get business over competitors.
Here is a checklist you may wish to consider when booking your shark cage diving holiday in Gansbaai.
1. Departure point of the trip. How far are you from your accommodation?
2. What other activities are in the area?
3. Is this the high season for seeing sharks?
4. What is the likely temperature and visibility of the water?
5. Will it only be shark cage diving, or is there a reasonable chance to see other wildlife too.
6. How many people will be on the boat? How personalized will the experience be?
7. How many people will be in the cage at any one time?
8.. How experienced are the skipper and crew?
9. How ethically does the operator conduct itself in terms of the following:
10. Whilst sharks do occasionally unavoidably steal bait, are the sharks intentionally fed?
11. Are sharks pulled so close to the cages that they bash themselves on the cage or against the boat injuring them?
12. Does the operator chum, and if yes, does he/she use shark livers that have been obtained through the killing of other sharks, or do they use other environmentally insensitive methods?
13. With regards to safety, what are the weather limitations that the operator works under, and how safe and seaworthy is the vessel?
14. What other wildlife do I have a reasonable chance of encountering on any given trip at the time of year I wish to book, and how knowledgeable is the crew in helping gain a better understanding of the species encountered?
15. What has the operator done in terms of protecting the wildlife they work with?
If you are allowing a booking agent/concierge or any 3rd party to book your shark cage diving trip be sure that they ask these questions as many booking agents work purely on commission and some may book you with any company that offers a good kick back irrespective of the service provided.
The bottom line is this; make sure that the shark cage diving operator you choose can deliver on what your expectations and required ethics are when working with animals, whilst being realistic as to the uncertainty that comes with any true wildlife adventure.
Go here for more info about shark cage diving in Gansbaai - https://www.apexpredators.com/
+ 27 79 051 8558