- May 31, 2021
-- The vehicle industry is witnessing rapid electrification, driven by the global need to reduce air pollution and CO2 emissions. As the infrastructure for charging expands and offers fast, reliable and convenient charging, double-digit annual growth for electric vehicles is expected. Major automakers are targeting electric vehicles to represent a significant share of their new offering in the coming years, while some even plan to discontinue manufacturing combustion engine driven cars by next decade. It is estimated that only-electric vehicles will represent 25% of light vehicles production in 2030.
The addressable annual market opportunity for filtration media used in electric vehicles is expected to grow at around 35% per year up until 2030, reaching approximately EUR 100 million.
Electrification is a key strategic theme for Ahlstrom-Munksjö
, which has successfully served the automotive industry for 50 years and has gained a leading position in engine filtration worldwide. Widespread adoption of electric vehicles will require more than just the needed technology. It also requires energy storage solutions, where fiber-based materials are widely used. Thanks to its extensive expertise in cellulose, glass microfibers and specialty nonwoven materials, Ahlstrom-Munksjö
is also developing a complete range of energy storage solutions under the FortiCell® product platform.Ahlstrom-Munksjö's FiltEV® offering
The FiltEV® offering for cabin air, cooling systems and transmission showcases what Ahlstrom-Munksjö
can develop for the filtration of fluids in electric vehicles. The combination of unique production capabilities and enhanced raw materials deliver the most reliable protection of people and systems, along with a guarantee of extended lifetime and energy efficiency.Cabin air filtration – Pure air for passengers
Cooling fluids filtration – Reliable shielding of the thermal management system
- Particulate portfolio protecting against coarse, fine and ultrafine particles, including bacteria and viruses.
- Carbon portfolio combining removal of particles and gases for an increased level of protection and comfort
Transmission filtration – Enhanced protection of the drivetrain
- High permeability air filtration media preventing wear of the fan and clogging of the system.
- Proprietary full synthetic three-layer media with a wide range of efficiency covering most cooling oil filtration requirements.
- Premium glass microfiber media with optional protective scrims, an ideal choice for high efficiency filtration solutions.
- Proprietary full synthetic three-layer media with excellent durability and a wide range of efficiency covering most filtration requirements.
The benefits include highest filtration performance, enhanced reliability and extended lifetime as well as state-of-the art laminating capabilities.