- Oct. 7, 2020
-- The American Gardens Rose Selections™ (AGRS) testing program has announced its selections for 2021.
The AGRS™ testing program recognizes roses that are easy to care for, disease-resistant and suitable for different regions of the country. In addition, awards are given for fragrance to help guide consumers who desire roses for their fragrance.
The 2021 AGRS™ winners are:
- Brick House™ - Regional Choice Award Winner in the Northwest, Northeast, and South Central Regions. Bred by Meilland®. Introduced by Star Roses & Plants.
- Brindabella Purple Prince™ - Regional Choice Award Winner in the Northeast, South Central, and Southwest Regions and Fragrance Award Winner. Bred by Sylivia E. and John C. Gray. Introduced by Suntory Flowers in partnership with Dig Plant Company.
- Easy to Please™ - Regional Choice Award Winner in the Northeast, Northwest, South Central, and Southeast Regions. Bred by Christian Bédard. Introduced by Weeks Roses.
- Sweet Spirit™ – Regional Choice Award Winner in all regions and Fragrance Award Winner. Bred by Meilland®. Introduced by Star Roses & Plants.
- Top Gun™ - Regional Choice Award Winner in the North Central, Southeast, and Southwest Regions. Bred by Tom Carruth. Introduced by Weeks Roses.
- Tropica - Regional Choice Award Winner in the Northwest, North Central, Southwest, and South Central Regions. Bred by Ping Lim. Introduced by True Bloom™ Roses.
All roses entered into the AGRS™ are tested for two years in six different geographical regions, each containing two test gardens. Additional characteristics that are evaluated include: vigor, foliage proportion, plant habit, flowering effect, rebloom habit, bloom form, aging quality of blooms, fragrance and hardiness. In order for a variety to be granted an award, it must demonstrate superior performance in at least least three (3) of the six (6) regions entered.
By recognizing and recommending the best garden-worthy rose varieties for the various regions of the United States through testing, the AGRS™ has the goal of providing objective and reliable information to the general public.
To learn more about the American Garden Rose Selections™, visit http://www.americangardenroseselections.com