Investintech.com Launches Second Annual $1000 Journalism Scholarship For Canadian Students
Partnering with the Canadian Association of Journalists, Investintech.com launches its second annual Investintech-CAJ Data Journalism Scholarship
The scholarship is aimed at helping students pay for their education with a one-time prize of $1,000 CAD. A free one year CAJ membership and free pass to the annual national CAJ conference will also go to the winning Canadian student who shows insight and understanding of the journalism industry.
With the help of the Canadian Association of Journalists (CAJ), a professional organization with more than 700 members across Canada, Investintech will work with a selection jury to review submissions according to journalistic guidelines and standards.
• Majoring in a journalism program, working towards a Bachelor's or Master's degree.
• Currently accepted to or enrolled in a Canadian college or university.
• Pursuing a course of studies leading to an undergraduate or graduate degree.
• Non-journalism program students who apply must show and demonstrate their interest in journalistic work.
Application Details: Submissions must include:
• An example of a work of journalism showing the application of data skills and tools.
• An explanation of what you did, how you did it, and the resources used. If the submitted item is produced as part of a team of two or more, you must show proof of work.
• An idea for a project you'd like to work on if you had more data journalism skills.
• A letter of support from an instructor or editor.
• Submissions may be a published item, class assignment or item on a personal blog
• Work must have been produced within one year of the scholarship closing date
• Individual work is preferred. If the work is produced by a team, you must describe your individual role and contribution.
• Previous winners are excluded; one submission per student
Selection Process & Review Guidelines:
• Follow all requirements;
• Entries must be in English or French
• Minimum word count for written parts: 500
• Creativity, style, coherence, readability
• Effective use of data, visualizations and medium used
• Major sources linked to back claims; strength of the topic and the work
Selection Committee: Investintech will collaborate with CAJ to create a jury of judges with experience and credentials from authoritative publications. It will include one Investintech representative and one CAJ member.
• Deadline: April 1, 2021
• Review: April 2-16, 2021
• Award date: April 20, 2021
Visit the Investintech-