News By Tag
News By Location
Follow on Google News
Las Vegas Urban League WIC Programs: Important Resources For Families Heading Back To School
By: Las Vegas Urban League - WIC
The LVUL WIC Nutrition Team specializes in advising families on how to maintain a well-rounded healthy and balanced lifestyle. The team offers advice on ways to change unhealthy eating habits, formulate healthy meals and develop proven methods to reduce obesity and chronic diseases.
"Our team is highly trained in the intervention and early detection to prevent childhood obesity by providing nutrition education and healthy food packages," LaWanda Torres, Clinic Coordinator of the Flamingo West Office, said. "Our counseling model utilizes science and evidence-based care plans to help families achieve a healthier lifestyle. We address such health concerns as obesity, Gestational Diabetes Mellitus, Preeclampsia, Hypertension, Autism and many more health conditions. Our team's motto is 'Be Proactive, Not Reactive'."
It's important to remember that we are all in this fight together to defeat COVID-19. Maintaining a healthy and active lifestyle is essential. These suggestions will help you throughout this pandemic:
- Stay Active by walking or running in an outdoors environment and while also avoiding large crowds.
- Maintain Proper Sleep to strengthen your immune system and thus improve the body's defense system. The CDC recommends that adult's ages 18 to 60 get seven or more hours of sleep a night.
- Maintain a Proper Diet by eating fresh vegetables and fruits and avoiding processed snacks and fast food.
- Avoid Isolation by reaching out to family and friends on a routine basis. Learn new technologies or skills to keep your mind active.
- Respect Yourself by maintaining good hygiene. Personal care of yourself promotes overall wellness. Practice relaxation techniques and spend quality time with your family.
The Las Vegas Urban League Women, Infants and Children Program is a 501c (3) program that is funded by the Nevada Department of Health and Human Services Division of Public Health.
For more information, visit the Urban League WIC website at: www.wiclv.org or their two convenient locations: 6480 W. Flamingo Road, Suite B, Las Vegas, phone (702) 227-1573 or 3320 E. Flamingo Road, Suite 50, Las Vegas, phone (702) 476-9561.
Reggie Burton Communications, LLC