Guadalupe Center launches Back-to-School Shoes & Supplies Drive for Immokalee students
By: Guadalupe Center
The nonprofit is collecting new notebooks, writing utensils, art supplies and other classroom items, as well as monetary donations, that will ensure students are prepared for success when classes resume. This year's collection is critically important as many parents in Immokalee face unprecedented economic hardships caused by COVID-19.
"Immokalee's unemployment rate typically rises during the summer because agriculture jobs decrease, but this year, parents who work in retail, restaurants, hospitality and other service jobs also are struggling financially,"
Guadalupe Center, which has a mission of breaking the cycle of poverty through education for the children of Immokalee, will distribute supplies to students in its Early Childhood Education Program, After-school Tutoring & Summer Enrichment Program and Tutor Corps Program. Requested supplies include:
· Paper products: composition writing books, index cards, lined notebook filler paper, notebooks and number cards.
· Writing utensils: colored pencils, crayons, markers and pencils.
· Art supplies: blunt scissors, construction paper, glue, googly eyes, paint, paint brushes, pipe cleaners and Play-Doh.
· Classroom supplies: dry erase markers, paper plates, pencil sharpeners, pompoms, rulers and 9x12 student lap whiteboards.
· Cleaning supplies: alcohol, bleach, disinfectant wipes, face masks, gloves, hand sanitizer and spray bottles.
Guadalupe Center also has partnered with Snyderman's Shoes of Naples and the nonprofit Laces of Love, which will be distributing new shoes to Guadalupe Center students in the coming weeks.
Monetary donations can be made online through a secure portal at http://www.GuadalupeCenter.org/
About Guadalupe Center
Guadalupe Center is a purpose-driven, nonprofit organization with proven results in creating endless possibilities for the students of Immokalee through education and fostering personal and academic success that leads to economic independence. With a focus on breaking the cycle of poverty through education, Guadalupe Center is proud of the children's accomplishments: