97% of Belgians consider access to healthy food to be a basic human right
In a rare moment of agreement, 97% of Belgians of all ages and regions agree that the government should ensure access to healthy food for everyone because this is a basic human right.
- 97% of Belgians – regardless of age, gender or education – believe that access to healthy food is and should be a basic human right;
- 86% of Belgians across all age and educational backgrounds believe the government is responsible for providing access to healthy food;
- 52% of Belgians find employers responsible for providing their employees access to healthy food whereas 36% believe this is not the employers' responsibility;
- 70% of Belgians from all age groups agree that healthy food is more expensive than unhealthy food;
- The stereotype of the unhealthy blue-collar worker is still alive: 82% of Belgians believe profession affects food choices.
A survey of 1.153 respondents across Flanders and Wallonia found that 97% of Belgians strongly agree that healthy eating should be a basic human right for a developed country like Belgium. 86% of Belgians believe that the government should be responsible for providing access to healthy food for everyone in Belgium. 52% of the respondents agreed that employers should reward their employees with access to healthy food.
The survey also pointed out that the perception of healthy food as more expensive than its unhealthy alternatives has yet to shift, with over 70% of Belgians claiming unhealthy food is usually the cheapest option in supermarkets.
Marc FERLET who leads Marketing and Communications at Unbox explains: "It confirms our belief that there is a huge demand, a real need for affordable access to healthy food across all Belgian demographics both in perception and reality."
"I'm also happy to see that people think that governments have a large role to play in that. It encourages us, at Unbox, to continue our efforts in making healthy food more accessible and affordable. Not only will this increase individual well-being, it will also lower the country's medical bills. And we finally found something that virtually all Belgians agree on!" Ruben VERHELST, Co-Founder and COO continues.
The field and online surveys took place from July 4th to July 15th. The survey was led by software company Unbox's research arm in the hopes of finding out more about the opinions of Belgians when it comes to access to healthy food. Last year, Unbox launched a program with Delhaize to reward customers who filled their carts with Nutri-Score A&B products. More information on that can be found on https://www.ucoin.be
See the full breakdown of the results on http://www.unbox.work/