The North Carolina Chapter of the ASLA Announces 2020 Landscape Architecture Award Project Winners
One Award of Excellence, Research Category, was presented to the Coastal Dynamics Design Lab at NC State University for the Twin Creeks project. The project team said, "If programmed appropriately as a conservation development, this property will provide a wide range of transformative, quality-of-life experiences for the residents of Creedmoor and the general public of the greater Raleigh-Durham region."
Additionally, four Honor Awards were presented to projects throughout the state or to firms
within the state, including the Cherokee Cultural Corridor Master Plan in Cherokee, NC by IBI Group. IBI defined in their project summary, "The Cherokee Cultural Corridor Master Plan (CCCMP) is a detailed analysis and intimate charrette with the Eastern Band of Cherokee Indians (EBCI) to plan and strategize the growth and development of Cherokee, NC (their tribal lands). This master planning exercise is unique in that an explicit focus was put on maintaining, strengthening, and promoting the culture, history, and community of the EBCI."
Full list of award winners:
Research Award of Excellence
• Twin Creeks in Creedmoor, NC: Coastal Dynamics Design Lab at NC State University https://www.coastaldynamicsdesignlab.com/
Analysis & Planning
• Cherokee Cultural Corridor Master Plan in Cherokee, NC: IBI Group https://www.ibigroup.com/
• Sycamore Creek in Hurt, VA: Coastal Dynamics Design Lab at NC State University
• Beech Bluff County Park Master Plan in Raleigh, NC: Surface 678 https://surface678.com/
• Restoration of the South Ellerbe Tributaries in Durham, NC: Surface 678
• NC Coastal Planting Template in Coastal NC: Coastal Dynamics Design Lab at NC State University
• A Watershed Improvement Study for Laurel Park in Laurel Park, NC: Roots First Design, LLC http://www.rootsfirst.com/
• BB&T Leadership Institute in Greensboro, NC: Surface 678
• Reconnect, Disconnect, and Protect: Duke University Student Health & Wellness Center: Stewart http://stewartinc.com/
• Chimney Rock State Park Trail Structure in Chimney Rock, NC: Stewart
• Global Flora Conservatory at the Margaret C. Ferguson Greenhouses in Wellesley, MA: Andropogon https://www.andropogon.com/
NCASLA plans to celebrate these accomplishments during an awards ceremony in the Fall. More details to come.
NCASLA aims to advance the profession of landscape architecture in North Carolina through advocacy, communication, education, and fellowship. For more information, visit https://www.ncasla.org/