Smart Africa Launches Africa Wide Coordinated Response to the Coronavirus Pandemic
Smart Africa, a bold and innovative commitment from African Heads of State and Government to accelerate sustainable socioeconomic development , has launched a continent-wide technology based coordinated impact response to the coronavirus.
By: Smart Africa
In order to tackle this unprecedented crisis, by its magnitude and its impact on society, the Smart Africa Secretariat seeks to support digital health services projects that aim at improving and accelerating the African governments response to the challenges of the Coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic.
The projects under the initiative are aimed at assisting African countries to:
• Assess individual risk and guide decision making;
• Assist African populations in finding nearby testing sites;
• Provide reliable updates and alerts from public health authorities;
• Report on community status;
• Track and report transmissions.
Moreover, to ensure that the efforts are relevant to the African context, critical technological parameters are considered as below:
• A solution available via web, application (iOS, Android, Windows), SMS, USSD, and other messaging platforms;
• Data collection from diverse points such as individual smartphones or terminals at public facilities (e.g. testing terminals at border controls, testing terminals by medical authorities, etc.);
• A reporting dashboard accessible to the admin with relevant data – specific rights depending on the status of the admin (e.g. public authorities, medical authorities)
• Anonymized data (no personal information including name, ID, address recorded on the system) generated by use of the solution can be published in real-time through a database accessible with an API and map interface on a public website for public health authorities to monitor;
• Reliably informative content available in local languages in various formats (written – vocal with Interactive Voice Recognition technology) – e.g. prevention practices, isolation practices, closest health facilities, additional one-on-on support, etc.;
The response will be initiated through a call for proposals which will involve numerous stakeholders across Africa. Once initiated the response by governments to the pandemic is expected to be coordinated, efficient and to save lives.
About Smart Africa
SMART Africa is a bold and innovative commitment from African Heads of State and Government to accelerate sustainable socioeconomic development on the continent, ushering Africa into a knowledge economy through affordable access to Broadband and usage of Information and Communications Technologies. For more information please visit http://smartafrica.org