What Happens When Leaders Bring Their Grief to Work?
By: Passion Powered Leadership
Grief that goes unexpressed for that long is bound to have unintended impacts. How long have you been holding on to anger? Has your grieving journey affected your ability to lead others?
Here are 5 actions to help shift your ability to lead effectively. These worked for me to get through my journey of "letting go" and letting my loved ones rest in peace.
1. Go within and be with your feelings. Take the time you deserve during this emotionally difficult time. Let your "right-hand man or woman" take the lead to keep business running effectively. Be with your feelings. Talk out loud so you can hear what it sounds like to express your pain.
2. Reach out for support either through professional therapy channels, family, clergy, or friends. Don't hide or try to fake it and say that you're doing just fine. Many will understand and give you the space you need.
3. Imagine what your loved one would say if they were watching you during your grief. Would you honor their wishes? Would they give you a kick on your butt and say, "snap out of the it?" If there are unfinished conversations that need closure, get them out on paper. Read it, forgive yourself, forgive them, and then burn it.
4. Engage with others, especially those you lead. Be open and express that you're having a tough time. Ask for support, patience, and cooperation to accomplish business goals during this time. Allow others to express sympathies, compassion, and love. After all, you're with them through the good and bad. Let them be there for you. It will increase trust and deepen relationships - a necessary ingredient for team productivity.
5. Free yourself at your own pace, in your own time. Turn sadness into joy and gratitude for all the great memories you made with your loved one. Celebrate life. Be open Stay vulnerable. Go forth and be the leader worth following.
Want guidance on leading passionately and powerfully through life's ups and downs? Contact me at Anita@PassionPoweredLeadership.com or visit http://www.passionpoweredleadership.com to schedule a coaching session.
Anita, the Passionista, Torres, is co-author of the bestseller "Experts & Influencers:
Passion Powered Leadership