Machine Vibration Monitoring Analyzes Equipment for Condition and Fault Diagnosis
By: CAS DataLoggers
Across many industries, high-level vibrations in machinery and test stand applications occur unintentionally, resulting in erratic operation and potential damage. Engineers and technicians can detect these signals using a machine vibration monitoring system. Within a single device, different types of vibration sensors undergo unfiltered processing within frequency spectra ranging from 0 to 50,000 Hz. Excitation frequencies can then be determined to enable process optimization, effective condition monitoring, and fault diagnosis.
Vibration Monitoring Features
• Connectivity for any type of vibration sensor (mV, mA, IEPE)
• Process and vibration measurement occur within a single device
• FFT analysis within the device itself along with frequency-band analysis
• Monitoring of vibration levels and an intelligent data logger is within the device
• Visualization and analysis using time signal, trend, FFT cascade, and orbit diagrams
Real-World Example: Vibration Monitoring of Turbines
To avoid expensive machine damage and to analyze the causes of shutdowns, a large manufacturer installed Expert Vibro vibration monitoring systems on several of its gas turbines. Vibrations are all acquired locally at the turbines, recorded, and automatically transmitted to headquarters via the internet. This is all performed with a single system. Continuous evaluation is carried out there by technicians. In the event of a malfunction, operators are automatically informed via email. The recorded characteristic values and FFT analyses are regularly transmitted over the internet in an encrypted form.
Typical Application Areas
• Vibration measurement in plants and machinery
• Monitoring of turbines and generators
• Diagnoses of vibration causes
• Vibration measurements on gas and hydro turbines
• Vibration measurement and test stands
• Acceleration measurement and FFT analyses
• Validating the effectiveness of vibration-reduction measures
• Measurement of mechanical vibrations
Expert Vibro Functionality
To capture the necessary data for these applications, the Expert Vibro acquires transient signals and vibrations at high speed, enabling 16 synchronous channels to be processed at fast sampling rates. 24-Bit A/D converters ensure high precision. Users can flexibly switch between voltage measurement, IEPE or shaft vibration sensors. Digital outputs can be switched within mSecs in the event of limit value violations, such as high temperatures that could damage a turbine.
Vibration measurement is made much easier when technicians only need to work with one device. The Expert Vibro provides users with analysis and monitoring functions, intelligent signal processing, an independent data storage capability, and versatile Fieldbus connections. The touch display shows users important configuration and measurement data onsite.
For more information on the Delphin Vibration Monitoring Systems, or to find the ideal solution for your application-