Pulse CPSEA Celebrates First Annual WHO Patient Safety Day on September 17
Pulse Center for Patient Safety pledge campaign to mobilize local businesses and groups.
By: Pulse CPSEA
Pulse Center for Patient Safety pledge campaign to mobilize local businesses and groups
The World Health Organization (WHO) has announced September 17, 2019 as the first official World Patient Safety Day. On that day, says the UN, "WHO will launch a global campaign to create awareness of patient safety and urge people to show their commitment to making healthcare safer."
To bring that global effort to local communities, Pulse Center for Patient Safety Education & Advocacy today launched a campaign to get organizations of all kinds (mainly but not exclusively on Long Island) to sign a pledge agreeing to promote five basic patient safety recommendations that every individual can do.
1. Maintain a current list of all medications you take and share it with your Primary Care Physician and family members (include over-the-counter medications);
2. Keep a list of all past and present clinicians, surgeries and procedures (with dates) and share with your clinicians and family members;
3. Prepare a list of all your symptoms and questions to bring with you to all medical appointments;
4. Prepare your healthcare proxy and other Advance Directives to make sure your instructions are followed;
5. Develop a support system of trusted family members and friends who will help you advocate for safe care. Offer to help support others with their safe care.
"We want as many companies, community organizations and support groups as possible to promote these safety tips to their members and employees," says Pulse President Ilene Corina. "If everybody took these five simple steps before they got sick or needed a procedure, the result would be better outcomes from treatment, and a lower risk of medical error."
The pledge can be completed online here. (http://www.patientsafetypledge.org/
Pulse will hold a public recognition ceremony at 2:00 pm on September 17, at 2:00 PM at Zona Restaurant (https://www.zonarestaurant.com/
Corina concludes, "Just by carrying out this pledge, companies and other groups can show themselves to be good corporate and community citizens, enhancing the reputations of all who take part."
Pulse will be holding three public phone-ins for anyone seeking more information about World Patient Safety Day.
Tuesday September 10th 8:00 AM and 8:00 PM Eastern Daylight Time
Friday, September 13th 8:00 AM Eastern Daylight Time
Call in #: 302-202-1108. At the prompt, enter Passcode 976512
Learn about the Patient Safety Pledge and why it matters to you!
Ilene Corina, President, Pulse CPSEA