Inaugural Caribbean Literary Festival set for Brooklyn, in September, 2019
Guest speakers include renowned author Jamaica Kincaid, Barbara Jenkins, Kevin Brown, and Kei Miller. Some event venues include the Center for Fiction and the Brooklyn Historical Society in Brooklyn.
This original, not-for-profit venture is free to the general public and aims to accomplish various goals, including:
· The promotion and celebration of the distinct voice of the Caribbean author in literature and culture.
· The positive shaping of the metro-community's understanding of Caribbean culture and intellectualism, while stimulating the appetite of literature lovers through the appreciation of Caribbean writing.
· The provision of the impetus and encouragement for upcoming authors and poets of Caribbean descent to confidently create and weave their stories and other creative works.
· The lessening of the divide between the literature of the 4 language groups in the Caribbean (English, Spanish, French and Dutch) and the creation of a homogeneous appreciation for its works among Caribbean people.
· The kindling of children's interest in the folktales of the Caribbean and the fostering of a kinship between children of Caribbean descent and their rich heritage.
The Brooklyn Caribbean Literary Festival is the brainchild of Marsha Massiah (The Idea Room Corp.) and is being supported and executed as a partnership between MAP Media International by Mellany Paynter, and Community Revitalization Partnership (CRP). The organisers' intent is to deliver a product that truly reflects the dynamic relationship between the borough of Brooklyn and its Caribbean inhabitants, and the unique personality. As such, the festival's events will take place at various iconic Brooklyn locations and it welcomes the support and contributions of corporate entities, academic institutions, as well as the general public.
To register for updates, events and learn more about the Brooklyn Caribbean Literary Festival, visit www.bklyncbeanlitfest.com (http://www.bklyncbeanlitfest.com/
Page Updated Last on: Jul 12, 2019