Nigeria Mining Week in October to focus on attracting investment by showcasing successful projects
The new President of the Miners Association of Nigeria (MAN), Alhaji Kabir Mohammed Kankara, will deliver the welcome address at the upcoming Nigeria Mining Week in Abuja, taking place from 14-16 October.
By: Nigeria Mining Week
As organising partners, MAN has been part of the event since its inception four years ago, along with PwC and Spintelligent. The conference programme for the fourth edition of the event is launching this week.
Improving the miner's productivity
"As the President of MAN", Alhaji Kabir Mohammed Kankara adds, "my vision for the association is to see that miners are given an enabling conducive environment to practice their legitimate business without any security challenges and harassment from the host communities or the host state governments by partnering with the government security agencies e.g. police, Civil Defence Corps, state governments and community leaders."
He continues: "I also wish to improve the productivity capacity of an average miner through sourcing of intervention funds and equipment from federal and also encourage state governments, World Bank, NEXIM Bank, BOI and other foreign and local investors to come on board and move mining to the next level. Furthermore, I wish to raise the level of the mining sector to make it another big source of revenue earning for the nation and increase the GDP of Nigeria. I also wish to make our association as another big employment generator to the teeming youths that are roaming about looking for jobs."
The Abuja conference and exhibition is expected to attract more than 1200 mining experts, 180+ mines and exploration companies, 40+ sponsors with more than 24 countries represented.
Leading industry supplier Barron is returning as gold sponsor while AG Vision, Kian Smith Trade Co, Meridian Drilling & Exploration Services and PW Nigeria Ltd are also already confirmed as silver sponsors.
The Nigeria Mining Week event programme highlights include:
Theme: Removing the roadblocks along the value chain: Setting the mining industry as a key driver for economic growth
- Uyi Akpata, Country and Regional Senior Partner, West, PwC, Nigeria
- Alhaji. Kabir Mohammed Kankara, President, Miners Association of Nigeria (MAN), Nigeria
- Ebrima Faal, Director-Country Manager, African Development Bank, Nigeria
- Claudine Sigam, Mineral, Oil and Gas Specialist, United Nations Conference on Trade and Development - UNCTAD Switzerland
- H.E Oumarou Idani, Minister, Ministry of Mines and Quarry, Burkina Faso (invited)
- H.E Kwaku Asomah Cheremeh, Minister, Ministry of Mines, Lands and Natural Resources, Ghana (invited)
- H.E Minister, Ministry of Mines and Steel Development, Nigeria (invited)
More conference session highlights:
Session topics include:
- Characterizing the state of the Nigerian mining industry for an investor
- Case study showcases: Catalysing investment into the sector
- Developing the financial sector in Nigeria
- Matching miners and financiers
Mining projects updates: Report on current developments
• Gold: Allied African International Company
- Riaan van der Westhuizen, Managing Director, Allied African International Mining, Nigeria
• Gold: Thor Explorations Ltd
- Segun Lawson, Chief Executive Officer, Thor Explorations, UK
• Gold: Kian Smith Trade & Co
- Nere Teriba, Vice Chairman, Kian Smith Trade & Co, Nigeria
• Iron ore: Kogi Iron
- Martin Wood, Chief Executive Officer, Kogi Iron, Nigeria
• Coal: ETA-Zuma
- Innocent ETA Zuma, Chief Executive Officer, ETA-Zuma, Nigeria
• Quarrying: Lafarge
- Miguel Velasquez, Head of Mining, Lafarge, Nigeria (invited)
More conference session highlights:
- States' project updates: A report on the achievements harvested from great labour
- Inter-State Mining Battlefield Competition
- Solving the Chinese puzzle between: Business potential and regulation in the mining sector in Nigeria
- Security as a growing concern in the mining regions
- Commodity trends and opportunities:
- Increased processing capacity for market growth: What is the key?
- Sustainable CSI initiatives:
Nigeria Mining Week dates and location:
14 October 2019: Pre-conference:
15-16 October 2019: Opening Session, conference and exhibition
Venue: NAF Conference Centre and Suites in Abuja, Nigeria
The event organiser Spintelligent is a well-known trade conference and expo organiser on the continent. The company has particular expertise and experience in mining, infrastructure development and energy; including long-running flagship shows such as Future Energy Nigeria in Lagos, DRC Mining Week in Lubumbashi, East & Central Africa Mining Summit in Kigali and African Utility Week in Cape Town.
LinkedIN: Nigeria Mining Week
Senior communications manager: Annemarie Roodbol
Telephone: +27 21 700 3558
Nigeria Mining Week