Health Canada Updates Guidelines Covering Flammability for Children's Sleepwear
Canadian authorities have updated their policy guidelines for flammability for children's sleepwear.
Regulations for children's sleepwear are made under the Canada Consumer Product Safety Act (CCPSA). While the new guidelines have been completely reformatted, with some information amended, the requirements have not changed. Therefore, products that previously met the criteria will still meet the new guidelines.
The guidelines concern the safety requirements covering children's garments, size 0 to 14X, that are manufactured, imported, advertised or sold in Canada for sleeping or activities related to sleeping - for example, nightgowns, pajamas and bathrobes.
The requirements cover:
• Flammability requirements for tight-fitting and loose-fitting children's sleepwear and accessories, including:
• Design, dimensions and labelling criteria
• Performance criteria and test methods
• Requirements pertaining to the use of chemical flame retardants
Updates in the new guidelines include:
• Explanation of children versus adult sleepwear sizes
• Requirements on numeric and non-numeric sizing labels
• Guidance for tight-fitting garments with closures
• Requirements for flame retardants
• Information on absorbent fabrics used in products
The new version of the guidelines also includes:
• Guidance for wearable sleepwear accessories for tight-fitting sleepwear
• Addition of waist circumference measurement to sizing charts
• Requirements for physical hazards, e.g. small powerful magnets
• Requirements for foam products
• Daywear and sleep sack details
• Other design and accessory information for ponchos, capes, etc. and tight-fitting sleepwear with attachable accessories
Finally, the new guidelines no longer include requirements for upholstered stuffed articles.
Stakeholders are advised to check their products comply with the latest requirements under the CCPSA.
SGS Softlines Services
SGS has a worldwide network of over 40 state-of-the-
SGS SafeGuardS keep you up to date with the latest news and developments in the consumer goods industry. Read the full Health Canada Releases Updated Guidelines on Children's Sleepwear Flammability (https://www.sgs.com/
Subscribe here (http://www.sgs.com/
For further information contact:
US & Canada Softlines Business Head
Tel: +1 973 461 7919 (tel:%20+19734617919)
SGS is the world's leading inspection, verification, testing and certification company. SGS is recognized as the global benchmark for quality and integrity. With more than 97,000 employees, SGS operates a network of over 2,600 offices and laboratories around the world.