D&SNGRR Announces Ticket Prices, Schedule and Guest Locomotives for Epic Photo Weekend, Feb. 15-18
For the First Time Ever, Historic 138-Year-Old Railroad Expands Popular Annual Photography Event to Four Days with Multiple Excursions and Night Shoots on Tap; Highly-Anticipated Affair to Showcase Galloping Goose No. 5, Southern Pacific No. 18
By: Durango & Silverton Narrow Gauge Railroad
This year's winter photography tours are particularly appealing to shutterbugs and railfans alike, as they will offer once-in-a-lifetime access to two special, historically-
"The D&SNGRR's annual winter photography weekend has become one of our more popular events of the year because of the unique winterscape shots, aerial perspectives, and exclusive set-ups it offers to attending photographers,"
During each winter photography weekend excursion, photographers will have multiple opportunities to capture amazing images of Galloping Goose No. 5, SP18, and the D&SNGRR's entire fleet of locomotives and the surrounding terrain in remote wilderness areas between Durango and Cascade Canyon. Additionally, attendees have the option of participating in several night shoots, during which various locomotives will be staged in the railyard and on the turntable for incredible footage.
Excursion Schedule and Ticket Prices
Here is the entire excursion and shoot schedule and accompanying fares for this year's D&SNGRR winter photography weekend:
Friday, February 15, 2019: Galloping Goose No. 5
* The 2019 winter photography weekend begins with a Galloping Goose No. 5 excursion to Cascade Canyon. This excursion features two run-bys and other prime photo opportunities from different perspectives. Cost: $169.00 per person.
* On Friday evening, attending photographers will have the chance to shoot Galloping Goose No. 5, SP18, and other locomotives in the railyard. Cost: $74.00 per person.
Saturday, February 16, 2019: Southern Pacific No. 18
* Be the first to ride behind SP18, as she makes her way up the Animas Canyon. This excursion, consisting of two D&SNGRR passenger coaches and a caboose, will make minimal stops on the northbound trip between Durango and Tank Creek, located four miles south of Cascade Canyon. Once past Tank Creek, SP18 will let off photographers at various locations on the way to Cascade Canyon for photo run-bys, including a "The Slim Princess'" meet-up with the daily Cascade Canyon passenger train as it arrives at the wye. The southbound trip will include additional photo run-bys and photo opportunities along the historic and picturesque "High Line." Cost: $209.00 per person. Caboose access is $309.00 per person.
* On Saturday evening, attending photographers will have the chance to shoot Galloping Goose No. 5, SP18, and other locomotives in the railyard. Cost: $74.00 per person.
Sunday, February 17, 2019: Mixed Freight
* Sunday's excursion to Tefft Bridge will feature a distinctive mixed-freight consist with D&SNGRR Locomotive No. 476, a boxcar, a flatcar, a drop-bottom gondola, a minimum of two passenger coaches, a concession car, a gondola, and a caboose. The excursion will offer photographers multiple run-by opportunities on both the northbound and southbound legs of the journey.
* This trip includes lunch, complimentary non-alcoholic beverages in a souvenir mug, and morning pastries.
* Cost: $189.00 per person. Caboose access is $289.00 per person.
Monday, February 18, 2019: The Ultimate Railfan Photo Excursion
* SP18 and Galloping Goose No. 5 team up to create the ultimate railfan photography experience as these two pieces of visiting equipment, each steeped in rich history, traverse the D&SNGRR tracks! The Goose will operate in its regular capacity, while the SP18 will pull a train similar to one, such as the Yankee Girl car, it would have pulled on the Southern Pacific line in eastern California. Both the Goose and SP18 will make the same run-by location stops. Upon arriving at Cascade Canyon, passengers will switch the piece of equipment they are riding on; passengers who rode up on the Goose will make the return journey behind the SP18, and vice versa.
* This gives each passenger the opportunity to experience both locomotives. This excursion includes a boxed lunch, soft drinks and water.
* Cost: $269.00 per person.
Night shoot attendance requires a ticket purchase to at least one of the main photo excursions.
Photographers will receive a 15 percent discount when they purchase tickets to three excursions, and a 20 percent discount when they purchase tickets to all four excursions. Other restrictions apply.
Tickets to this year's photography weekend are available only by calling the D&SNGRR's reservations hotline at (877) 872-4607.
Keith R. Pillow