Governor's Fitness Award Nominations Extended: Who Inspires You To Be Healthier?
Presented by the Governor's Council on Physical Fitness, Health and Sports and the Michigan Fitness Foundation, GFA finalists will be recognized on April 25, 2019 at the Michigan State Capitol in the morning, followed by an evening gala event at the MGM Grand Detroit. The Michigan Fitness Foundation works to inspire active lifestyles and healthy food choices in the places Michiganders live, learn, work and play.
Active Senior Fred Winter w/ Lt. Gov. Brian Calley and GFA Emcee Lila Lazarus
- Dec. 17, 2018
-- The Michigan Fitness Foundation's Governor's Fitness Award (GFA) nomination deadline has been extended to January 3, 2019. The GFA honor inspirational individuals and organizations for their pursuit, commitment and dedication to health and wellness.
By extending the deadline, the GFA Committee offers Michigan residents, and employers the unique opportunity to participate in the nomination process, and highlight their commitment to healthy lifestyles by recognizing individuals, events, organizations, and workplaces across the state.
Nominate a colleague, your workplace, your favorite organization, an outstanding active event, community organization, or yes, even yourself. Categories include;
- Accepting the Challenge-The Charles T. Kuntzleman Accepting the Challenge award recognizes individuals who have overcome extraordinary challenges to pursue a healthy, and balanced life, in turn serving as a role model for others, and have succeeded despite setbacks.
- Active Community-Imagine a community where people can walk, or bike to work, school, or run errands, where families play together in parks and greenspaces, and neighbors wave to neighbors with a sense of connectedness, and community pride. The Active Community Award is given to a community that creates this kind of vibrant, healthy environment.
- Active Senior-This award recognizes our most seasoned citizens, those who keep moving and stay active even when it would be easier to take a shortcut. Help us honor active citizens around the state by nominating someone who inspires you day in, and day out through their determination.
- Conquering Obesity-This award recognizes individuals who have made a meaningful commitment to overcome health issues through nutrition, and physical activity. Help us honor those that have inspired others to make intentional changes to improve their health.
- Director's Champion for Health-The Michigan Department of Health and Human Services Director's Champion for Health acts to ignite and support positive community change, specifically encouraging physical activity and healthy eating across the lifespan. This Champion works to develop programs, processes, messaging, and infrastructure in their community, and shows how they impact the lives, and health outcomes in Michigan's most vulnerable populations.
- Extraordinary Event or Organization-Through fitness events and organizations, there are opportunities for Michiganders of all ages, and skill levels to try different forms of activities, develop physical fitness skills, and gain a better understanding of health in a safe, and welcoming environment. This honoree should offer innovative, safe, and fun physical activity events, or programs with no barriers for participation, creating a positive environment for all to pursue a physically active life.
- Healthy Workplace-Every year, Michigan worksites, whether small, medium, or large, take that extra step, spend the extra dollar, develop that innovative concept, which helps create a healthier workplace - and helps make their employees healthy, fit, and more productive.
To learn more about the awards, including past recipients, and to nominate, visit www.michiganfitness.org/gfa