News By Tag
News By Place
3rd Annual Art N Nature Fest in Tuskegee Oct. 26-27 Features Alabama's Native Son Lonnie Holley
Holley will exhibit his work, including new music, at the outdoor festival that celebrates Black artists in Alabama and beyond.
This year's third-annual event is Friday, October 26 and Saturday, 27, 2018 at 1370 County Road 36 in Tuskegee, Alabama. Friday features an Opening Reception for Alabama's native son, the world-renowned artist Lonnie B. Holley from 5:00 pm to 9:00 pm.
Lonnie said in a recent interview that the last time he visited Tuskegee, he was as run away from the Mt. Meigs facility for troubled youth.
This time, he will return as a free man to exhibit an amazing series of art work inspired by the legendary work of Dr. George Washington Carver, the prolific scientist who taught at Tuskegee Institute. Lonnie will also perform on stage Saturday, October 27th, in celebration and support of his new album release, entitled MITH, on the Jagjaguwar Record label.
In addition, the artist has committed to speak and demonstrate at Tuskegee University and Booker T. Washington High School on Friday, October 26th.
Lonnie's art work is now celebrated and collected by numerous museums and private collectors throughout the world. His phenomenal work as a visual artist began humbly at his home in Birmingham, Alabama, where his neighbors complained about his work as a junkyard nuisance. However, the junk was recognized as art. He has since become a major asset in the so called "outsider art" world. His genius of making use of sand stone and found objects solidified his artistic stature in the world of modern art as we know it today.
The Art N Nature Fest is becoming a growing event for artists across the state and the country. It occurs in a beautiful natural setting, demonstrating how the land and the arts can uplift people and build communities.
Other Performing artists participating in the two-day event are:
· Revel In Dimes, Brooklyn, NY. Their tunes are a little R&B with the right amount of rock, blues and Jazz mixed in, plus an undercurrent of just-plain-cool old school.
· Bayou Dred with Smoov Ras, Baton Rouge, LA. Performing progressive reggae with a style bridging traditional reggae and modern dance hall beats.
· Culture Dred, Birmingham, AL. Formed in the early 90's, Cultural Dred is considered a roots reggae band that blends a fusion of funk, soul and jazz rhythms.
· H2O, Montgomery, AL. An all-around-solid group of musicians who blend funk, soul and classic rock with today and yesterdays classic hits.
· Jah Richie /The Nu African Saxy Groove Makers, Atlanta, GA. Combining classic reggae rhythms in an organized impromptu manner. Jah Richie/ Nu African Saxy Groove Makers brings a creative force of jazz and reggae blend.
· Theola Bright, Mobile, AL. Both a visual and performing artist. In her music she beautifully blends and harmonizes gospel and reggae rhythms. As a visual artist she works with imported fabrics particularly from Senegal, West Africa transforming fabric into wearable art.
· A host of other performing artists include acoustic, storytellers, and spoken word art forms.
· Presentations by 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place Poetry Slam winners that are students from Booker T. Washington & Notasulga High Schools and Tuskegee University.
Visual Artist invited to exhibit at our ARTIST VILLAGE include artist: G. Bodile Balams, Brenda Davis, and many more.
The Art N Nature Festival is hosted by Natures Gardens for Victory an Peace, a nonprofit organization with a holistic community development concept, based on a vision to manage land that is preserved and built-upon to evoke health, social wellbeing, victory and peace for members of the community.
For Vendor, Sponsorship and Volunteer opportunities:
Contact: Muhjah Shakir, Executive Director: NGVP at (334) 421-7160 and or naturesgardenvp@
· Purchase Advance Tickets online at: www.naturesgardenvp.org/
Tickets are: $10 for the festival; $15 for the Weekend Pass that includes the Festival and the Artist Exhibit and Reception
· $10 for the Art Exhibit and Reception ONLY.
· Tickets are $12 at the gate; youth 16 years and younger are admitted FREE.
The 3rd Annual Art N Nature Fest is sponsored by: The Nu South Artist Workshops, The Black Belt Community Foundation, The Tuskegee Macon County Community Foundation, Tuskegee University College of Arts and Science, The Tuskegee College of Environmental, Agriculture and Nutritional Science.
Muhjah Shakir, Executive Director
Nature’s Garden for Victory and Peace
Page Updated Last on: Oct 10, 2018