News By Tag
News By Place
Joint Standards of Practice: A Step Forward For Animal Behavior Professionals
IAABC, CCPDT, and APDT join together to become a strong, unified voice for science-based animal behavior work.
The IAABC, APDT, and CCPDT are industry organizations that provide education and certification for people working with pets. We believe that owners have a right to know that the person working with their dog, cat or other pet understands the science behind animal behavior and is committed to using the most effective, most humane approach possible.
Now these organizations are coming together to announce new Joint Standards of Practice. Members of all three organizations will now be held to the same high standards of skills, knowledge, and ethics in their work with animals, clients, and peers.
These new standards reflect the shared values of the adopting organizations and our joint commitment to being a strong voice for humane, effective training and behavior work with companion animals, no matter the context.
The Standards of Practice provide a framework of principles to convey a collective principle of professionalism, skills, and values in positive reinforcement-
• To understand and promote Least Intrusive, Minimally Aversive (LIMA) training and behavior work.
• To continue professional development by reading relevant material; attending conferences, workshops, and seminars; and pursuing other educational opportunities.
• To review and understand source material and academic texts for information.
• To abstain from representing training and behavioral information as scientific, unless the information is derived from peer-reviewed and published research.
• To refrain from offering guarantees regarding the outcome of training and behavior work.
• To always maintain professionalism through:
• Providing your services honestly
• Treating animals and clients respectfully
• Valuing and preserving the privacy of clients
• Maintaining professionalism with colleagues and other professionals.
To read the full text of the new Standards of Practice, visit our website at https://m.iaabc.org/