News By Tag
News By Place
Treating end stage liver failure with transplant
Liver is the largest gland of the body which weighs more than 1 kg in a full grown adult. It is situated just under the rib cage on the right side of the abdomen. Food that we intake is absorbed and digested by liver.
By: BLK Hospital
Liver transplant is a surgical operation in which diseased and non functioning liver is removed and replaced with the help of a healthy one. The main reason for needing best liver transplant in India is its complete failure. There are different causes which are mentioned below –
· Hepatitis B and C – It is a common reason of liver failure. It may occur after acute hepatitis B virus infection and chronic infection which occur spontaneously as the result of the effect of immunosupressions. This also leads to cirrhosis.
· Cirrhosis – it is effect which is caused by different forms of liver conditions and diseases. This leads to scarring and causes complete failure. Every time, there is some damage to the liver, it tries to repair which causes scar tissues to form. Once the damage is done, it cannot be controlled but early diagnosis can limit the damage.
· Non alcoholic fatty liver disease – this term is used in people with liver fat who drink no or very little alcohol. The exact cause of this condition is not known but risk factors include obesity and lack of exercise.
· Best liver transplant hospitals also receive patients who are suffering from diseases that affect the bile ducts such as biliary cirrhosis, primary sclerosing cholangitis and biliary atresia. It is the most common reason for this transplant.
·Other reasons include genetic diseases which affect the liver such as hemochromatosis and Wilson's disease.
Liver transplant treatment in India require the following procedures –
· Laboratory tests are done to assess the health of the organ. It includes blood and urine tests.
· There should be nutritional counseling regarding the nutritional intake because the body should be fit.
· To find out the underlying issues, there is need of psychological evaluation. Conditions such as anxiety and depression determine if there is any risk involved.
· A general health exam is needed to do routine screening test for cancer and other diseases.
The procedure of transplant may see you in the wait list. Some people may wait for months and some may never receive it. This procedure can be done either as deceased liver donor or as a living donor liver transplant. In this procedure, you will be administered general anesthesia so that you are not awake. A long incision is made across the abdomen. The accessed liver's blood supply is then disconnected. It is then replaced with the healthy one. All the blood vessels and bile ducts are then reattached. This whole procedure takes around 12 hours to complete. The incisions are then closed and you are shifted to ICU for a few days where your condition is monitored and you are checked for any complication.
BLK has the finest liver transplant specialist in India who know exactly how to perform the procedure without making the patient uncomfortable and minimizing the risk of complications.
Page Updated Last on: Jul 16, 2018