News By Tag
News By Place
When do you need help of pediatric surgeons
By: BLK Hospital
Heart defects in Children are usually due to congenital heart diseases. Pediatric cardiology treatment is usually done for diseases which are present since birth. Some of these defects are not complicated and don't need any treatments but others may require surgeries. The symptoms shown by them depend on the severity –
· Severe congenital defects symptoms become soon after the child is born. Skin color may be pale grey or blue. There might be rapid breathing along with swelling in the legs, abdomen and areas around the eyes.
· Children's heart Institute in India say that less serious defects may not be diagnosed until later. Symptoms that are noticed in later stages include short of breath during exercise, getting easily tired, swelling of hands etc.
According to pediatric cardiology hospitals, the causes of these defects are as follows –
· Holes can be formed in the walls between the heart chambers. They can also be present between major blood vessels leaving the heart. This results in less oxygen being carried to the child's body.
· There may be obstruction in blood flow when blood vessels are narrow or blocked. This makes the work of heart more difficult and harder. This will eventually lead to enlarging of the heart and thickening of the heart muscle.
· Congenital heart defects form when blood vessels going to and from the heart don't form correctly or they may not be positioned the way they are supposed to be.
· Other reasons may include heart valve abnormalities, underdeveloped heart or a combination of other defects.
Pediatric heart conditions and its treatment are done after the issue is diagnosed. Some of the common diagnostic tests are –
· Fetal echocardiogram – it is a test which shows if the heart defect is present in children before or after the birth. This allows the doctor to plan it in better way. Ultrasound is done to create a picture of the baby's heart.
· Electrocardiogram – It is a non invasive test which records the electrical activity of the child's heart and helps in diagnosing a congenital defect after the child is born.
· Other tests include Chest x-ray, cardiac catheterization, MRI etc.
Pediatric heart surgery hospitals use the help of different surgical procedures to deal with problems like hole in the heart, obstruction of blood flow etc. Some of the children need open heart surgeries to make sure that these congenital defects are solved. Pediatric cardiac surgery can also be performed in minimally invasive manner. Only small incisions are required between the ribs and instruments are inserted through.
BLK is the best children heart hospital in India. They have a dedicated pediatric cardiac surgical unit with several specialized program making it one of the very best.
Page Updated Last on: Jul 16, 2018