News By Tag
News By Location
June 1 is the start of hurricane season. Here are 3 steps to prepare
By: Invenio IT
Did you know that 40% of companies go out of business after major disasters like hurricanes? But this is preventable by having a good backup plan. Here are three helpful tips to small businesses cannot afford to skip:
1. Prepare your physical space.
- Have the building inspected regularly to make sure it can withstand a big storm.
- Clean up the surrounding area, ensuring there isn't anything that could easily blow or fall into your building.
- Check the utilities (water heaters, gas tanks, and heaters) and raise them to higher locations. And, don't forget to shut them off prior to the storm's arrival.
2. Protect your intellectual property.
- Have a business continuity plan in place so that should there be a disruption to your servers, your critical business data is not lost.
- Have any irreplaceable "paper" documents sealed in a waterproof container. Seal these documents in waterproof containers onsite.
- Make sure you have access to your servers and data while off-site.
3. Make sure to stock up.
- Have your office pantry fully stocked with the things you may need should the storm hit while you are at work: battery operated radio, non-perishable food supply, generous supply of water, containers for water and washing, blankets and pillows, first aid kit, flashlights (and batteries), basic tool kit, camera to document damages, flares, tarps and duct tape, cleaning supplies, fire extinguisher, generator, as well as cash.
In addition, make sure you prepare an emergency contact sheet with information such as: the nearest hospital, police, FEMA, utilities and the insurance company and agent contact information should you need it.
"Taking a few simple precautions can make a huge difference when it comes to surviving a natural disaster. It can literally make or break your business" says Invenio IT Principal and Co-founder, Dale Shulmistra.
Find more helpful tips to prepare your business for the 2018 hurricane season here: http://invenioit.com/
About Invenio IT
Invenio IT is an acknowledged industry leader in networking, data protection and IT security, with a specialization in business continuity solutions. The firm provides IT service and counsel to Clients throughout Europe, the United States and the Caribbean. For more information about how Invenio IT can use technology to improve your business, please visit us at http://www.invenioIT.com
Page Updated Last on: May 23, 2018