How Millennial Moms are Upping the Father's Day Gift Game
BSM Media Survey Reveals Top Gift Trends, When and Where Moms Buy
Twenty-five percent of respondents in the Millennial Moms survey expect to spend up to $250 total, and 33% say they will purchase gifts for three or more "other" dads in their lives, pointing to a 2018 Father's Day spend that looks to match or exceed last year's record $15.5 billion estimate (National Retail Federation).
"Father's Day is huge for brands considering that Millennial Moms expect to buy gifts from every category for an expanding circle of recipients beyond the father of their children, including fathers-in-law, stepdads, grandfathers and extended family members," said Maria Bailey, marketing to moms expert and CEO of BSM Media. "This generation of mothers will continue to customize gifts and experiences to make Father's Day unique for the entire family and will look to their mobile phones for gift ideas and savings," Bailey added.
Additional Father's Day spending survey responses from 650+ Millennial Moms across the U.S. highlight when, what, and where moms will buy:
· WHEN: 35% of moms shop for gifts two weeks prior to Father's Day, 29% shop for gifts one month prior and 35% shop from one week to one day prior to the June holiday.
· WHAT: 57% of moms say they give Dad a separate gift from themselves and the kids.
· 52% of Millennial Moms say they ask Dad for gift ideas, while 48% do not ask for any input on gifts.
· 50% of moms anticipate a traditional Father's Day cookout or a special family dinner at home.
· WHERE: Online shopping sites attract 46% of Millennial Moms, while the majority (54%) shop in a brick-and-mortar store. Amazon.com leads the list of most common online retailers at 92%, followed by Target.com at 38% and Walmart.com at 25%.
· Specialty stores like Dicks, Home Depot and Cabela's are the hottest places to buy Father's Day hobby products.
· Moms are hoping to save on the big Father's Day spend, as 86% say they will look for deals and offers this year. Retailer websites are the top source where moms look for these coupons.
From making creative gifts to giving family experiences, moms tackle the Father's Day gifting season armed with a sizable budget and plenty of online inspiration. For more Father's Day survey results and information about how moms shop for other holidays and seasons, contact BSM Media, the company that specializes in marketing to moms.
About BSM Media
BSM Media is an internationally recognized, full-service marketing and media firm specializing in connecting brands with Moms. CEO Maria Bailey is the author of Millennial Moms: 202 Facts Marketers Need to Know to Build Brands and Drive Sales (Wyatt-McKenzie, 2016). She and her team produce creative, turnkey programs that allow companies to reach their brand and product goals through mom, millennial and GenZ influencer matchmaking tactics and trendsetting marketing strategies. For information and case studies on how to connect with powerful Mom and Millennial consumer groups, go to http://bsmmedia.com.