Empowering Eye Care in India Through Technology
Operation Eyesight Universal is an international Canadian NGO that is actively working in India to eliminate avoidable blindness led by its long term Vision of "For all the world to see". Its community eye health program is expanding rapidly every year seeking to partner with local Eye hospitals so as to reach the unreached in the remotest parts of India. OEU establishes Vision Centres (VC) at the community level and links them up with secondary and tertiary hospitals. Each Vision Centre targets to serve about 50,000 to 100,000 people and aims to be self sustaining through sales of spectacles. It also aims to provide comprehensive screening for about 4,000 people every year and refer them for surgery or prescribe spectacles or further consultation based on the initial screening. To minimize cost each centre is run with just one trained technician.
Operation eyesight realized that leveraging information technology would further enable them to optimize their operations and help them track and monitor the performance of the vision centres. Considering their goal of establishing 220 vision centres in India before the year 2020 they realized that IT would be critical driving factor ensuring the success of the same.
Pellucid focusing exclusively on software products for the Eye health sector has partnered with OEU by deploying the Pellucid Clinics solution hosted on a Cloud server. The software provided multiple benefits instantly. Some of them were at the Vision Centre level, but many benefited the management, which could monitor performance remotely.
At the Vision Center level:
• Saves time for the technician in recording data. Data was recorded accurately and all mandatory information captured since the application enforced the same. Paperwork was reduced drastically
• The Software automatically classifies the blind and visually impaired and effective color coding helps technicians follow up the patients
• The patients referred for surgery can be followed up effectively from the Vision Centre.
For the Program Management team of OEU
• Easily see which cluster has referred most patients, also which Community Health Worker (CHW) has referred most patients
• The Revenue break up and Cost recovery of VC's are calculated automatically.
• Patient questionnaire and reasons for not up taking spectacles helps team to make effective interventions
• Since the data is in the Cloud the vision centers can be monitored in real time
• Ability to compare the performance of different vision centers under a hospital and also zone wise comparison
• Can see the data on any device and download the reports from anywhere in the world.
• Transparency in reporting to the Senior management and key stakeholders
The program team that used to spend nearly 3 months in consolidating the vision centres report data can now do it in click of a button! There was nearly 60% effort saving in the reporting process and this resulted in the program team focusing on other value added activities.
Pellucid seeks to partner with many more NGOS in India and globally to achieve the goal of eliminating needless blindness leveraging on technology, at the same time we seek to improve the level of healthcare for all people. From the feedback obtained from our partners, we are also constantly improving our technology to further the cause of making avoidable blindness a problem of the past.