News By Tag
News By Location
The Monterey Museum of Art Announces Year of the Woman 2018 Exhibition and Events Schedule
By: Monterey Museum of Art
Why is the very idea of artistic greatness rarely extended to women? The MMA puts the question center stage in a series of exhibitions showing groundbreaking work of California women artists spanning 100 years plus of style, medium, and perspective.
"We have some amazing work by women," said Stuart Chase, the Museum's Executive Director, "but their work only makes up about twenty percent of our entire collection. By recognizing the work and wisdom of women artists past and present, we hope to help articulate an inclusive vision for the future."
From E. Charlton Fortune, a bold and free-spirited early 20th century impressionist, to Kim Campbell, an abstract expressionist, women artists exhibited this year are not only "as good as the men," some of them have blazed new trails where no man has gone before.
Please note: the MMA on Pacific Street will be closed February 5 through March 14, 2018 for gallery renovations.
Exhibitions slated to open in 2018 include:
Special installations throughout the year, beginning with Kim Campbell, January 5
• Museum Collection Highlights of Women Artists throughout the year, such as:
Pamela S. Carroll
Jean Kellogg Dickie
Amy Ellingson June Felter
E. Charlton Fortune
Grace Carpenter Hudson
Jeannette Maxfield Lewis
Susan Manchester Eugenia Frances McComas
M. Evelyn McCormick
Mary De Neale Morgan
Lucy Valentine Pierce
Bertha Stringer Lee
• Beth Van Hoesen, Entry Gallery, March 15 – April 30
• Photography by Women, Outcalt Gallery, March 15 – May 27
• Joan Savo, Coburn Gallery, March 15– April 29
• 2018 Weston Scholarship, Coburn Gallery, May 10 –July 8
• E. Charlton Fortune: The Colorful Spirit, Work and Outcalt Galleries, May 24 –Aug. 27
• Our Ocean's Edge, photography by Jasmine Swope, Outcalt Gallery, June 14 – Sept. 10
• The New Domestic (part 1), Coburn and Entry Galleries, July 20– October 28
• Salon Jane, Outcalt Gallery, September 20–November 26
• The New Domestic (part 2), Work Gallery, September 13– October 28
• Miniatures, Work Gallery, November 15– December 16
• Alyssa Endo, November 15– January 2019
• Edna Bullock, Outcalt Gallery, December 20 – February 2019
The 2018 calendar also includes the Spring Gala on April 28, Free Family Fun Days in February, June, August, October, and December, along with the Museum's 25th Annual Miniatures exhibition November through December. The MMA's "Brews for a Cause" fundraiser takes place in November, with "Christmas in the Adobes" following in December.
Programs for 2018 and the months in which they will be held are listed below.
Dates are subject to change.
• Maker's Series of Workshops – January 9, 16, 23, 30
• Family Day – February 3
• Winter Studio Series – March, 5, 12, 19, 26, Mondays
• Pop-Up Dinner – March 20 (off-site)
• Family Day – April 7
• Spring Gala – April 28
• Spring Lecture Series – May (Mondays)
• Family Day – May 19
• Summer Camps – June and July
• Pop-Up Dinner – July
• Family Day – August 19
• School Tours – August 2018 – May 2019
• Afternoon Art Clubs – August 2018 –May 2019
• Annual Docent Training – September and October
• Family Day – October 8
• Fall Fundraiser – October 20
• Pop-Up Dinner – October 23
• Fall Lecture Series – October and November (Mondays)
• 25th Annual Miniatures – November 16 – December 17
• Brews for a Cause Fundraiser – November 30
About the Monterey Museum of Art
The Monterey Museum of Art (MMA) was established in 1959 to uphold the artistic legacy of the region by collecting, preserving, and presenting the art of California and the Central Coast.
The only nationally accredited museum between San Jose and Santa Barbara, the MMA's goal is to expand a passion for the region's visual arts—past, present, and future. Exhibitions and programs are designed to demonstrate California's vibrant, diverse spirit, and to inspire, engage, and connect art and community.
In 2017, the MMA hosted two photography exhibitions:
Visit montereyart.org for additional information about the Museum's exhibitions, programming, and events.
• E. Charlton Fortune PR images https://goo.gl/
• Miniatures PR images: https://goo.gl/
• Weston Scholarship:
• Family Day: https://goo.gl/
• Fall Fundraiser: https://goo.gl/
• Spring Gala: https://goo.gl/
Media Inquiries: email@example.com or 831.372.5477 x101