News By Tag
News By Location
VIDA Fitness, DC's DPR and Mayor Bowser Unite to Make DC America's Fittest City
Wellness Initiative Offering Washingtonians Free Access and Opportunities to Achieve Fitness Resolutions by Improving Exercise and Nutrition Regimens
The 2018 VIDA Fitness/DPR Take Back #1 public awareness program will include a series of free public workouts at area recreation centers along with health expos and nutrition seminars at VIDA Fitness that are scheduled in the following weeks. The free workouts, classes and seminars are opportunities for the public to conquer their fitness fears and will occur citywide. Ways to get involved in the 2018 Take Back #1 campaign include:
Stand Up to Obesity - Complimentary InBody Analysis: Users will gain an accurate measurement of their body fat, muscle mass and much more through VIDA Fitness' InBody analysis technology.
· Try a New Class - Open Houses at VIDA Fitness: Free and open to the public, VIDA Fitness guests can experience complimentary workout classes, personal training demos and nutrition seminars. Participating locations include:
o Saturday, January 13 (2:00 -4:00 p.m.) at VIDA Fitness-The Yards (1212 4th St SE).
o Saturday, January 20 (8:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.) at VIDA Fitness-Gallery Place (601 F St NW).
o Saturday, January 27 (2:00 – 4:00 p.m.) at VIDA Fitness-City Vista (445 K St NW).
· Take a Hike - DPR's Healthy Heart Walk: On February 10, DPR will host a charity walk in an effort to combat heart disease. More information on the walk is here:
· Turn #TGIF to #FITDC Fridays: Throughout January, DPR is hosting "#FitDC Friday New Year, New You" at the Banneker Recreation Center. Attendees can participate in a complimentary fitness class and receive a free fitness assessment with VIDA personal trainers. Also DPR does a free monthly, music-themed workout, Funky #FitDC Friday, which on January 12th features the music of Janet Jackson at Kenilworth Recreation Center (4321 Ord St. NE). February 9th, DPR bring Caribbean flavor with a "Carnival" fitness experience at Banneker.
· Support DC Parks: DC is the #1 ranked city nationwide when it comes to parkland percentage and parkland per 1,000 residents.
· Kick Bad Habits to the Curb: Put out that cigarette once and for all.
· Switch Your Commute: Bike to work and kick start your day the right way. Need a set of wheels? Check out Capital Bikeshare or dockless biking options like LimeBike or Mobike.
For a full calendar of events, visit DPR's website http://dpr.events or on VIDA Fitness at: http://www.vidafitness.com/
"FitDC is important because as government officials and residents, even as visitors, we all have a responsibility to build the community that we live, work and play," says Keith Anderson, director of DPR. "But that all starts with good health and FitDC puts on a path to being healthy, so we can all best serve our communities. DPR's mission is to promote health and wellness; conserve the natural environment;
"We are thrilled to join forces with DPR in efforts to take DC back to the number one spot as America's Fittest city," says David von Storch, owner and founder of VIDA Fitness. "Everyone should have the opportunity to improve their day-to-day health and we are happy to offer these public programs and resources to allow more DC individuals to keep their 2018 New Year resolutions."
# # #
Launched in the Spring of 2015 by Mayor Muriel Bowser, FitDC is a comprehensive health and wellness initiative that encourages residents to live a healthier lifestyle by linking them to nutrition and physical fitness resources in their communities. FitDC offers "Ward Walk" events, various challenges for District residents and official FitDC Coaches, who offer guidance on making healthy lifestyle choices. The initiative, reaching all 8 wards of the city, is led by the DC Department of Health (DOH) and the DC Department of Parks and Recreation (DPR).
About VIDA Fitness
At VIDA Fitness, we are here to make your life better! We do this by creating uniquely designed and laid out spaces, providing industry leading facilities and programming, hiring and retaining the best fitness professionals to support you in achieving your goals, and creating a community where people of shared values can make meaningful personal connections. VIDA signature classes provide fun, innovative ways to work out that constantly evolve to provide new challenges. Complete with Aura Spa, Bang Salon, Fuel Bar, Gear Shop, luxurious locker rooms, and signature Endless Pools, VIDA caters to every aspect of their members' lives. Founded in 2006, VIDA now has six convenient locations in Washington DC ranging from 30,000 to 60,000 square feet.