News By Tag
News By Location
Donate for Mud School for Lakshyam Street Kids
By: Lakshyam NGO
With the motto of Hands to Hearts, Lakshyam works to safeguard and uplift children of not so privileged sections of the society. One of such is Vasant Kunj's Sindhi Basti where 11 months ago Lakshyam NGO had set-up its school and camp for the betterment of children and people living in that area. From education to empowerment, Lakshyam has supported them all and tried its level best to improve their living. With this particular initiative, Lakshyam envisions to provide them with a school which will not stop them from learning and developing their inner skills in any circumstances.
This area is inhabited by around 100 families and approx 300 children who are seen begging or selling toys or performing on tarffic signals or are ragpickers.
The vision and idea is to bring these children out of these professions and provide them the basic education and amenities for their better future.
The need for a shelter:
A. We are unable to function in that area due to no permanent structure in the vicinity to carry out activities. We started with our set up under the tree to a tent to a bamboo room.
B. Currently, the bamboo shelter which is there is unable to withstand vagaries of nature such as strong rains, winds etc.
C. For us to become a true engine of change, we need a reliable structure where they can carry out activities such as medical camps, remedial education for kids, vocational lessons for women, etc.
To see the video of the Basti visit: https://youtu.be/
We are grateful and delighted to collaborate with Ms. Shagun Singh, from Geeli Mitti Foundation, who would be teaching and helping to build the Lakshyam Centre with Earthbag technique.
This technique focusses on low cost, durable, energy efficient, environmentally friendly structures using recycled materials.
Earthbag structures are extremely strong and can withstand earthquakes, fire, floods, bullets…
Being a natural building using mud as the main building material, the school we are building will have thermal mass to remain comfortable through the sweltering Delhi summer heat, the humid monsoon and bitter cold of winter.
This will be a single room classroom in the middle of the slum. An oval shaped structure with a sloping roof.
ABOUT GEELI MITTI FOUNDATION
Founded by co-trustees, Shagun Singh and Osho Kalia,
Geeli Mitti Foundation spearheads projects and causes in the domain of Environment, Sustainability, Women Empowerment, Health and Skill Development for Jail Inmates, Women and Children.
Our core projects live right now include:
1. The 'Say No to Polythene and Yes to Cloth Bag' campaign recognised by the Haryana Govt. in its list of achievements of 50 years for its impact in both substituting Polythene and providing skills and financial support to Jail Inmates and Women in slums.
2. Under our work on Women Empowerment, we work with the Police across different cities and States to impart self defense training to school and college girls, especially in rural hinterlands surrounding the metros.
3. We have adopted three remote villages in Uttrakhand and are working to make them self-sufficient eco-communities with organic farming, waste management, natural housing along with set up plan of a health centre, libraries, education support, upskilling trainings for women and a computer centre.
The Foundation also helps to market the produce from our SHGs and organic farmers.
HOW CAN YOU PARTICIPATE/
1. You can volunteer and join the workshop to learn to build with Earthbags and contribute to the cause at the same time.
10-day workshop covering:
- Natural buildings and its advantages
- Foundation and Plinth
- Earthbag walls, diddling, pattern, wire laying, tamping techniques
- Opening, doors and windows affixing
- Electrical and plumbing provisions
Workshop fee - Rs.5000
You can also pay the entire or part of course fee by way of donating some of the materials that we need.
CERTIFICATE OF COMPLETION WILL BE PROVIDED
Note - Please carry your own bottle of water and food/snacks.
2. Donate the materials or contribute money to the fund for purchase/sourcing of our building materials and labour.
List of Materials for donation:
1. Gravel for foundation
2. Tarpaulins for shade and cover. Strong ropes
3. Wood for doors/windows/
4. Large cardboard rolls or boxes for roof insulation
5. Clay soil / laal mitti / potters soil for plastering
6. Barbed wire
7. Iron rebars and angles
8. Tools - shovels, tampers, strip anchors, mud sievers
9. Tin sheets/panels for roof
Raashi Anand - 9540690002
Facebook Event Page: https://www.facebook.com/
Lakshyam NGO Delhi
Page Updated Last on: Nov 09, 2017