Travel Pain-Free This Holiday Season
Local FYZICAL physical therapist, Dr. Cheryl Abelow, provides tips on traveling comfortably
By: FYZICAL Therapy & Balance Centers of MetroWest
NATICK, Mass. - Dec. 2, 2016 - PRLog -- Last year, an estimated 98.6 million people traveled over the holidays according to AAA. With so many people traveling to visit family and friends over the holidays, aches and pains are inevitable for most after sitting for long periods of time. Whether you are traveling by plane or car, it's important to keep your body healthy during the holidays.
"Sitting for an extended period of time can lead to sore muscles and joints," said Dr. Cheryl Abelow, FYZICAL Therapy & Balance Centers of MetroWest in Natick. "People can prevent this with proper stretching before, during and after they travel."
While you're traveling this holiday season, follow these tips to relieve muscle and joint pain after your flights and car rides.
· * For long flights, be sure to stand up occasionally. This will help stretch your legs and back as well as stimulate blood circulation. Additionally, if you're traveling by car, take breaks often so the driver and passengers can walk around and stretch.
· * Prior to a long day of traveling, stretch your body to prepare your muscles for extended periods of sitting. After your trip, be sure to stretch out any achy muscles.
· * Wear comfortable, loose-fitting clothing and shoes when you travel.
· * Maintain good posture throughout the flight or drive to ensure your back and neck are protected.
· * Use of a lumbar support can be a tremendous help when sitting for long periods of time.
"At FYZICAL MetroWest in Natick, we stress the importance of overall health and wellness with our patients," said Dr. Abelow. "It's vital that everyone take care of themselves while traveling this holiday season."
FYZICAL can assess potential problems such as poor posture and balance through BodyQ, an overall wellness exam. FYZICAL Therapy & Balance Centers of MetroWest invites anyone looking to improve posture, learn tips and tricks for more comfortable traveling, and any other problems with a BodyQ evaluation. Visit http://www.FYZICALmetrowest.com or call 508-650-0060 to schedule a BodyQ today.
About FYZICAL Therapy & Balance Centers of MetroWest
FYZICAL Therapy & Balance Centers of MetroWest provides the freedom to live life on your own terms. FYZICAL MetroWest combines extensive medical expertise and physical therapy experience to create the highest level of patient care. Rooted in science-driven practices and treatments, FYZICAL believes patient wellness begins and ends with personal connection. To date, FYZICAL Therapy & Balance Centers has grown to 130 locations in 24 states. Learn more at fyzical.com.