Dyslexic AND UN-Stoppable Appears On The We Choose Respect Worldwide ParentCast
Lucie M. Curtiss, R.N. and Douglas C. Curtiss, M.D., FAAP were honored to be selected as featured guests on the We Choose Respect ParentCast with Jed Doherty.
By: Dyslexic AND UN-Stoppable, LLC
- What Dyslexia Is - The Curtisses shared some of the common features of dyslexia and how it affects children. In addition to the typical difficulties in reading, children with dyslexia have difficulty assigning the sounds of letter combinations to the letters, difficulty with spelling, and sometimes math.
- Connecting The Dots - Because children with dyslexia may have seemingly unrelated problems, Dr. and Ms. Curtiss emphasize "connecting the dots." In the podcast the Curtisses explain that often children with dyslexia will have some early signs including - difficulty learning sight words, difficulty with rhyming, speech delay, fine motor issues (including trouble tying shoes) and more. It is important for parents and teachers to recognize these signs early to help these children receive the early intervention that they need to succeed.
- Dyslexia and Self-esteem - The Curtisses also discuss the importance of maintaing a dyslexic child's self-esteem. They point out that with a positive self-image, a child is more willing to face the challenges and extra work involved in overcoming dyslexia.
- Helping Children Rediscover Their Inner Power - with all of the emphasis on "fixing" a dyslexic child's issues, it can be easy to forget about his strengths. The Curtisses advocate focusing on these strengths, to help the child find what he is truly good at and what inspires him.
- The Power Of Words - Along with helping preserve dyslexic children's self-esteem, the Curtisses remind parents to remember the "Power Of Words". By this they mean that the words that parents and teachers use to describe a child have a tremendous effect on how that child views himself. Therefore adults should, wherever possible, use these words to empower and uplift children.
You can find the whole interview at http://www.jedlie.com/
About We Choose Respect ParentCast -
The We Choose Respect ParentCast is a great resource for parents looking to raise kids to be healthy, happy and respectful. Show host Jed Doherty is known throughout the US and Puerto Rico as Jedlie, a fun and a bit wacky former social worker turned magician. Three times each week Jedlie will interview authors, parenting experts and guest who are just plain fun.
About Lucie M. Curtiss, R.N. and Douglas C. Curtiss, M.D., FAAP
Lucie M. Curtiss, RN, is a dyslexic and the co-founder of Dyslexic AND UN-Stoppable and co-author of the Dyslexic AND UN-Stoppable book series. She's also a mother, pediatric nurse, entrepreneur, and business manager of a thriving pediatric practice. For the past decade she's successfully helped her son overcome dyslexia. Her mission is to empower dyslexic children to become UN-Stoppable and overcome dyslexia by rediscovering their inner power and realizing they are SMART.
Douglas C. Curtiss, MD, FAAP, is a board-certified, Yale-trained pediatrician and Amazon #1 best-selling author with over 18 years of experience. He has helped thousands of parents navigate the school system and advocate for their dyslexic children. He is the co-founder of Dyslexic AND UN-Stoppable and co-author of the Dyslexic AND UN-Stoppable book series. He was trained in traditional Western medicine, and as an avid student of personal development, he began to look at complementary medicine techniques to incorporate into his practice. When his son was discovered to be dyslexic, Dr. Curtiss worked with his wife, Lucie Curtiss, to find the best methods, both traditional and complementary, to help their son overcome dyslexia. After seeing the results firsthand of his son's success, Doug has teamed up with his wife to help parents of kids with dyslexia find the tools and strategies and make educated choices to help their children rise to their fullest potential.
Dr, Douglas Curtiss