News By Tag
News By Location
The Solution for Ankle Sprains is Here!
The Ankle Roll Guard is the patented, breakthrough solution for ankle sprain prevention! It is the only ankle sprain prevention product on the market that does not affect mobility or comfort!
According to ACSM, 25,000 Americans suffer from an ankle sprain each day (9 million annually). Ankle sprains account for almost half of all sports injuries and more than 80 percent of ankle sprains are a result of inversion, or inward rolling, of the ankle. Ankle Braces and taping have typically been the proposed solution for ankle inversion. However, while studies have shown some protection from inversion, braces also potentially bring the risk of injury further up the leg as well as weakening of the ankle ligaments.
Further, a study by Jatin P. Ambegaonkar, PhD, ATC, OT, CSCS, professor of athletic training, co-director of the Sports Medicine Assessment, Research, and Testing (SMART) Laboratory, and coordinator of the Exercise, Fitness, and Health Promotion Program at George Mason University concluded that bracing and taping impacted agility: "The use of the lace-up or semi-rigid ankle braces or taping negatively affected agility performance. We feel reasonably confident in our results because ankle braces restrict inversion and eversion ranges of motion."
A new, patented solution called the Armor1 Ankle Roll Guard is now available that provides ankle inversion protection and allows the ankle free range of motion during walking, running, athletic events, or rehabilitation. The support uses a cushioning and support mechanism to prevent the ankle from inverting past approximately 30 degrees. This inversion past 30 degrees has been proven to cause ligament strain and or tearing. It also fits around the outside of almost any shoe type (including cleats) so ankle restriction is not a factor. This might be important during rehabilitation of an ankle injury where mobility can be achieved while still maintaining protection for lateral ankle instability or ankle laxity. This new cushioning support was tested using a motion analysis system and showed inversion protection & better range of motion versus a brace or tape.
Feedback from Physical Therapists such as Eric Tamura, D.P.T., ATC at Gridiron Rehab and Athletic Fitness has been positive: "The cushioning support provides stability and inversion protection without limiting ankle mobility. Our patients with chronic ankle issues and/or post-surgical procedures were able to comfortably wear the support while standing/walking on flat surfaces, but noticed increased support and stability while standing/walking on uneven surfaces."
Podiatrist Dr. Thomas E. Mollo also noted "I have tried the Ankle Roll Guard myself on my left foot that inverts at times. I have to say that it does prevent inversion once it has been adjusted to the shoe."
And from a satisfied customer: "Since I have been using the guard, I have had no ankle rolls. When I purposefully "test" it out to see if it's making a difference, I can feel how the cushion helps to prevent my foot from inverting. Thank you for creating something to PREVENT rolls instead of just treat them!"
Some features and benefits of the Ankle Roll Guard
- Based on customer feedback & clinical testing, the sleek design features a light-weight, durable EVA rubber material & silicone grips to shoes
- Left/right option for optimal fit, protection, & placement of cushion under ankle ligaments
- One size fits all & can be used on all shoe types, including cleats
- Easy to put on, take off, & customize to shoes
- Cushion is only 1.5” from side of shoe
- Outside shoe design allows user to retain ankle mobility & comfort while still having ankle protection (no impact to agility like a brace)
- Provides ankle stability & protection for users with chronic lateral ankle instability (weak ankles, frequent rolls)
- Clinical testing using a motion analysis system showed inversion protection & better range of motion versus a brace or tape
- Weighs only 2.3 ounces so you don't even feel it!
Watch the Ankle Roll Guard 1 minute overview: