Macomb County Michigan: Mom and Dad's Health is Declining Fast. What’s Next?

It seems like every holiday season I get calls from families concerned about elder family members being able to care for themselves , wanting to sell their home or condo to move them in with the family or a senior center. Here is more information.
Get your FREE informational books today.
Get your FREE informational books today.
Spread the Word
Listed Under

* Seniors Real Estate
* Downsizing
* Free Real Estate Information

* Real Estate

* Chesaning - Michigan - US

CHESANING, Mich. - Dec. 20, 2015 - PRLog -- The holiday season is a great opportunity to gather with family members, neighbors, and other loved ones in an expression of our love and gratitude.

It's during these gatherings that we see our loved ones maybe for one of the few times throughout the entire year. It is also during these gatherings we may notice a decline in the health of our family members far beyond what we could have imagined, which could raise numerous questions, concerns, feelings of anxiety, and maybe even guilt.

The following post includes some Frequently Asked Questions posed by many well-intentioned adult children this time of year after they have realized their loved one's health has declined to a level that requires action.

Questions When You Think a Parent Needs Assisted Living

Do my loved ones need to move or do I need to consider home health for them?

How do we pay for assisted living and/or home health?

How do I start the conversation with my loved ones?

How do I talk about this to my other family members?

How can I arrange this when I live and work out of town?

Am I being paranoid? What signs of decline should I be watching for?

Who's going to arrange and manage everything? The sale of the house? Moving? All that stuff?

Free: Get "The 5 Steps to Downsizing Made Easy" (

Who can help us understand the financial implications?

What is Medicare and what options are available?

Do my loved ones have to go to a nursing home? What level of care do they need?

Should they or can they move in with me or someone else? Can any of us give them the proper care?

How do we find a good senior community? Can someone help me?

How to Find Assistance When a Parent Needs Help

If you are shocked at how rapidly your loved one's health has declined and are concerned (even a little) for their safety, it’s time to seek help.

You're not being paranoid. If you have concerns, they are valid. There are several signs of decline that will begin to show, some of which include:

·          Short or long term memory loss

·          Decline in the upkeep of the home and/or lawn

·          Repetitiveness during conversations

·          Decline in personal hygiene

There are many resources to assist with payment for home health and/or senior living communities. Starting the conversation sooner rather than later is best. Research shows that your loved ones will be more receptive to making a positive change when THEY are INCLUDED as much as possible in the conversation and decision-making process.

Getting other family members involved and on board could be helpful, but there does need to be ONE person who is "leading the charge."

Overwhelmed by trying to handle it all on your own? There are services and professionals who specialize in helping coordinate care for your loved ones.

Seek CERTIFIED professionals to help with every step, and check references.

There are Realtors (like myself) who specialize in senior real estate and late-in-life moves and transitions.

There are also movers and packers specifically-trained in working with older adults and their families. You also may wish to work with appraisers, auctioneers, estate planners, elder law attorneys, Veterans Advocates, Medicare Specialists, Geriatric Care Managers, Placement Services, and more.

As a Seniors Real Estate Specialist of the National Association of REALTORS, I am specifically trained in providing real estate services for seniors and their family members. I can also help coordinate the transition and guide you to the other service professionals who'll need to be a part of your specific situation.

For more information contact: Rick Giese associate broker at RE/MAX Advisors (586) 242-3100 or by eMail

Have a happy and safe holiday season.

Rick Giese RE/MAX Advisors
Tags:Seniors Real Estate, Downsizing, Free Real Estate Information
Industry:Real Estate
Location:Chesaning - Michigan - United States
Account Email Address Verified     Account Phone Number Verified     Disclaimer     Report Abuse
Page Updated Last on: Dec 20, 2015
Rick Giese RE/MAX Advisors News
Most Viewed
Daily News

Like PRLog?
Click to Share