News By Tag
* Healthy Diet Burlington
* Physiotherapy Burlington
* Burlington Nutrition
* Nutritional Health Burlington
* Acupuncture Burlington
* More Tags...
Prevent Obesity with these Helpful Tips
· Leptin is a hormone made in adipose tissue (fat cells) that is carried in our bloodstream to our brain (hypothalamus)
· Scientists believe that your leptin threshold is genetically set.
· When your leptin levels are above your threshold limit you’re in a state of energy sufficiency meaning you can burn energy at a normal rate and you will not feel hungry.
· When you diet you reduce the number of fat cells thereby reducing your leptin levels. When your leptin levels fall below your specific threshold your vagus nerve will send a signal to your stomach indicating that it is hungry so that you can eat more and store more fat for energy and produce more leptin. This is why dieting is not successful in long term weight management.
· Surprisingly obese people have higher levels of leptin due to their high body fat percentage however their brain does not receive the signal to stop eating. They are leptin resistant. Their brains are not responding to the levels of leptin in their bloodstream. Dr. Robert H Lustig has called obesity a form of brain starvation.
· When leptin is working properly leptin will tell your brain that you are full and that you have adequate energy storage and your brain will send a signal via the vagus nerve to your stomach telling it that you’re full.
· What makes people’s brain resistant to leptin? Leptin resistance is linked to insulin resistance. Insulin resistance happens when the pancreas is pumping out lots of insulin due to a diet high in sugars but the cells are not responding to insulin. As a result glucose is left in the blood stream. Excess glucose in the blood stream is known to cause inflammation. Inflammation blocks leptin transport into the brain. Also excess glucose in the blood stream will be stored as fat (triglycerides)
WHAT ABOUT ARTIFICIAL SWEETENERS?
· According to nutritionist expert Dr. Mercola, artificial sweeteners lead to weight gain. Aspartame is made up of two amino acids, phenylalanine and aspartic acid which are known to stimulate the release of insulin and leptin which are the two hormones that regulate hunger and metabolism. Elevated leptin and insulin levels are responsible for obesity and other chronic conditions such as adult onset diabetes and cardiovascular disease. When your body is exposed to too much leptin it will become leptin resistant causing you to remain hungry, crave sweets and gain weight.
SOME GUIDELINES TO REVERSE LEPTIN AND INSULIN RESISTANCE
· Avoid all processed packaged foods and beverages containing hidden sugars especially high fructose corn syrup.
· Follow a natural whole foods diet rich in vegetables, fruits, whole grains, nuts and seeds, good quality meats and fish, good quality fats such as coconut oil, olive oil and butter from pastured cows and fermented foods.
· Replace soda with filtered water and make sure you are drinking enough throughout the day. Add awedge of lemon, lime or berries for added flavor.
· Follow an anti-inflammatory diet including lots of vegetables (mostly green and cruciferous)
· Take a good quality omega 3 fish oil if you are not consuming enough healthy fats in your diet. Omega 3 fish oils are proven to reduce inflammation as well as help regulate blood sugar.
· Request a lipid panel from your doctor and reduce your tri-glycerides if they prove to be elevated. Our liver converts excess sugar first into glycogen and if glycogen stores have been satisfied the balance will be stored as fat. Excess fat storage will show up as elevated triglycerides. You will see your triglyceride levels naturally drop as you switch from a diet that is high in processed refined foods to a diet that is high in natural whole foods as well as fiber.
· Add fermented foods to your diet such as kefir, yogurt and sauerkraut. If you do not enjoy or tolerate these foods supplement with a good quality probiotic. Our healthy intestinal bacteria are involved in many functions including the metabolism and absorption of proteins, carbs and fats.
· Following the above guidelines will also help regulate your blood sugar levels which will help increase your overall energy levels and help you maintain a positive and happy mood which is required to make a lifestyle adjustment.
PhysioMax Wellness in Burlington Ontario provides the best nutrition plan for their patients. Our Nutritionist Annette Fenton is very knowledgeable about nutrition plan for patients who require special dietary needs. This multidisciplinary clinic in Burlington Ontario also provides Physiotherapy, Acupuncture, Osteopathic and Massage Therapy in order to tend to any kind of injuries. Please contact us or visit www.physiomaxwellness.ca for more detailed information.