Follow on Google News
News By Tag
News By Location
Follow on Google News
Small- to Mid-Sized Businesses Find Powerful Advocate in Third Party Logistics Companies
Unishippers, the Nation’s First and One of the Largest Shipping Resellers, Pinpoints Value of 3PLs in Complex Relationship between Shippers and Carriers
“There are a series of obstacles that small- to mid- sized businesses can meet when handling shipping themselves. Shipping requires a substantial investment of both time and resources—both of which are often limited. Instead, this is an operational area that could be outsourced to a 3PL that has the right industry relationships and can undertake those tasks on behalf of the business,” said Kevin Lathrop, President of Unishippers Global Logistics. “As 3PLs continue to grow, their ability to negotiate on the customer’s behalf is enhanced. Businesses see the value in having an advocate on their side that understands the steps needed to optimize and streamline shipping practices.”
Small- to mid-sized businesses are constantly looking for ways to ease the burden put onto their business by logistics and don’t have the manpower, tactical expertise or operational savvy needed to quickly and efficiently move product from point A to point B. Unishippers Global Logistics, LLC (http://www.unishippers.com/
· Securing competitive rates: Smaller businesses often don’t have the buying power to negotiate the best possible rates with carriers. Thanks to the combined buying power of all of their customers, 3PLs can offer highly competitive rates with national, regional and local carriers that are often only available to larger volume shippers.
· Finding the time: With limited time and expertise to dedicate to shipping, SMBs find themselves spending time on shipping instead of focusing on tasks that will help grow the business. 3PLs are able to focus on the shipping, allowing owners to focus on core business functions.
· Increased competition for limited carrier capacity:The freight industry is experiencing a capacity crunch – a higher demand for services met with a tight supply due in large part to the truck driver shortage. 3PLs can leverage established relationships to ensure their customer has the best chance of their freight getting picked up and delivered on time.
· Access to transportation management solutions: The industry has moved away from paper and has become increasingly dependent on technology to prepare shipping documents, get information and track their goods through the shipping process. Most 3PLs have developed a proprietary TMS software that manages a company’s transaction process and allows customers to compare costs and delivery options, create reports and more.
· Dealing with multiple carriers directly causes inefficiencies: SMBs face considerable challenges when trying to consolidate multiple invoices, carriers and shipping systems. 3PLs are able to alleviate the headaches caused by dealing with the tedious aspects of the shipping process.
· Navigating the logistics process: 3PLs can help companies expertly navigate the many nuances and factors in the shipping process, which can result in both hard and soft cost savings for businesses.
Additional information regarding the challenges facing shippers and the solutions provided by 3PLs can be found in a newly released whitepaper available on Unishippers’
Founded in 1987, Unishippers has grown to be one of the largest resellers of shipping services in the nation with more than 290 franchise and affiliate locations. Headquartered in Salt Lake City, UT, the Unishippers concept is simple – work with major carriers including UPS®, Saia®, Estes, YRC Freight and UPS Freight® to handle the pickup, transport and delivery of customers’ shipments, while franchisees work to provide service and support. By leveraging the combined shipping volume of all its customers, Unishippers gets deeply discounted rates from its carriers, resulting in lower shipping costs. Unishippers serves more than 50,000 small to mid-sized businesses, and has been recognized as a top freight broker by Transport Topics and a top franchise by Entrepreneur, Franchise Times and the Inc. 5000. For information on Unishippers, including information on franchising opportunities and price quotes, visit www.unishippers.com.
Account Email Address Account Phone Number Disclaimer Report Abuse