News By Tag
News By Location
New Gay Hikers App Helps LGBTQ Families Go Hiking in Gay Marriage Summer
In the summer of the same-sex marriage court ruling, new free interest-based app helps gay hikers find local LGBTQ hiking groups or connect with other LGBTQ hikers and families nearby; find trails of different difficulty or accessibility & get hiking
By: Gay Hikers Group
Hiking is already one of the top sports and preferred forms of outdoor exercise in the LGBTQ community, and the app's mission is to encourage and support wider participation. The free Gay Hikers ("GH") app is now available on iTunes, Google Play, Amazon Apps and other major app stores.
A USA & Canada collaboration - New app was developed by volunteers from the Montreal-Laurentides Gay Hiking Group (http://www.gikers.com)
- Who to hike with? Access information on free LGBTQ hiking groups worldwide & online hiking forums specifically for Lesbians, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, or LGBTQ families to set up their own local hike or learn about other hiking opportunities. App's calendar lists upcoming hikes & key LGBTQ community dates as suggested by app users.
- Where to hike? App provides access and information to trails in USA, Canada & International. From trail suggestions and resources in the first country to approve same-sex marriage by popular vote - Ireland, to recently opened Cuban hiking trails.
- Where to find "accessible"
- Who is hiking? Proximity-based features & live chat to locate hikers in your group or other Gay Hikers app users near.
- Where Not to Hike? Trail alerts and warnings posted by and for app users. From non-LGBTQ friendly trails and communities to poorly maintained accesible trails.
- How to get to the hike? Tools and list of resources to enable app users set up their own hike's carpool or join others.
- What to wear in a hike and for what Weather? Insects? Blisters? Dehydration?
- Mind Hiking? For the times, app users cannot get out to hike, nature trail sounds and trail videos and blogs to let them mind-hike regardless of where they find themselves.
- Hike Pixs- Opportunity for app users to share their trail photos with their own groups and/or other gay hikers worldwide, and identify potential future hikes.
- Hiking News - A collection of LGBTQ hiking news and other general hiking news by several of the top hiking twitter feeds and blogs.
Regardless of the outcome of the anticipated same-sex marriage supreme court ruling, app looks to help LGBTQ hikers and families of any level of expertise to get out, get moving and go hiking.