SpiceRoads Cycle Tours launches multi-country Balkan adventure
An action packed mountain bike journey filled with interesting culture, awesome biking tracks and breathtaking scenery.
By: SpiceRoads Cycle Tours
What to expect
Our mountain bike expedition starts in Trebinje, looping around the villages and hillsides of Bosnia and Herzogovina.
The trip then heads on to Croatia on village paths and tarmac roads past picturesque settlements and towns along the Dalmatian coast of the Adriatic.
Biking into Montenegro, there will be a visit to the seaside and a few boat trips for relaxation between taking on old military trails and biking through railway tunnels and mountainous terrain.
This trip not only offers scenic rides, with views of castles, churches, enchanted villages, vineyards, and some amazing scenery, but the itinerary includes immersing into local cultures and cuisines, making sure that all the facets of these gems of emerging Eastern Europe are fully enjoyed.
Highlights of the tour
* Visiting Tvrdos Monastery, an Orthodox 15th-century monastery and tasting wines from the vineyards cultivated by the monks
* Traversing village paths to historic Ljubinje which has traces of settlements dating back to the Roman Era
* Enjoying views of Dubrovnik's walled old town and Riveria from Srdj Mountain
* Mountain biking on single track and back roads through orchards and vineyards of the Konavle Valley with rugged cliffs that form a stunning contrast to the waters of the Adriatic
* Relaxing on a boat ride to the island of Our Lady of the Rocks in the midst of Kotor Bay
* Cycling along old military trails towards Crkvice, the wettest inhabited place in Europe
* Riding along disused train tracks and through a 600m railway tunnel to Skadar Lake National Park, the largest lake in the Balkan peninsula
* Spending a night in Budva, the “Miami of Montenegro”
* Visiting the UNESCO World Heritage site of Kotor, known for its well-preserved and restored medieval buildings and defensive fortifications
This journey is a multi-activity tour consisting of 367 km of riding. Much of the biking will be on quiet back roads and rocky dirt jeep tracks with climbs and descents every day of varying degrees. This trip is suitable for anyone with a reasonable level of fitness and some off-road riding experience. This trip is not too arduous, so riders with less experience are more than welcome, although the fitter you are the more you will enjoy it.
Costs and discounts
The tour cost is US$2500 with an additional US$240 for bike rental. Included are accommodation, all meals and drinks and snacks while riding.
Enter promo code BALKANS and receive US$200 off our May and June Tours.
SpiceRoads is a specialist bicycle tour operator based in Bangkok offering a range of two-wheel tours in over 25 destinations worldwide. SpiceRoads tours cater for every level of cyclist and range from day trips to complete country explorations. Participants are invited to join tours with fixed date departures scheduled throughout the year, while private or tailor-made tours can be arranged for groups or individuals on request. The highly professional operation employs experienced cycle guides to lead all tours and has a fleet of well-maintained mountain and road bikes and support vehicles.
Please call or email for information or photos.