Be on the Alert – Lice Don’t Take a Holiday in Winter
The winter months are one of the peak times for head lice transmission.
What can we do about it? For starters, periodically throw outdoor clothing in the dryer for 20 minutes or so. Emphasize to your children not to share coats and hats with their friends. Take a few minutes to inspect outdoor clothing, especially after play visits and schooldays. Wash combs and brushes in hot, soapy water.
Head lice are tiny parasites that move by crawling. Adult lice are about the size of a sesame seed, and vary in color from graying white to tan to dark brown. Immature lice are smaller. Nits are their eggs, and look like white specks.
If you DO find lice in clothing or combs, then it’s time to put the kids under the spotlight. The American Academy of Dermatologists points to these symptoms:
- Itching and scratching, and the sensation of something moving on the scalp.
- Do an inspection in good light. Part your child’s hair. Look for movement. Inspect for sores or a rash where your child might be scratching.
- Slow, careful wet combing is a useful tool to detect active head lice.
- While common dandruff (flaking of scalp skin) is easy to comb out, lice and nits attach themselves firmly to the base of the hair. Dandruff flakes appear throughout the hair, whereas most nits appear close to the scalp.
Contact DeLiceful, New York’s Premier Lice & Nit Removal Service
Do-it-yourself treatment can be very time-consuming, yet still have a hit-or-miss result, possibly bringing you right back to square one. Contacting a professional lice treatment service such as DeLiceful can get things under control quickly. DeLiceful specializes in teaching awareness of the problem, effective all-natural treatments, and prevention. DeLiceful is a valued member of the community, gaining referrals from friends, families, pediatricians and pharmacists.
The comprehensive, 360-degree method perfected by DeLiceful brings together all of the current tools and best practices to eliminate the problem:
- Application of the DeLiceful Mousse, a natural non-toxic solution that targets live lice and prepares the scalp for the next step. No harsh chemicals or pesticides like those found in over-the-counter remedies are used.
- After the Mousse enzymes begin to take effect, DeLiceful combs … combs … and combs again. Our technicians are experts trained in the Shepherd MethodTM, a meticulous hair-strand by hair-strand search for and removal of lice and nits. Our specialized combs and tools go far beyond conventional home treatments.
- After repeated combing, DeLiceful blow dries the hair, and carefully checks every single strand under magnification. Any remaining pests are eliminated.
- After the manual nit removal process, DeLiceful technicians apply another Mousse treatment. Short hair is combed and styled, and long hair is put into a bun. At home, parents wash out the last mousse treatment with regular shampoo.
Of course, it is important to check the child frequently to make sure the infestation doesn’t occur again. Clients are asked to revisit DeLiceful for a complementary check that ensures the pests are gone once and for all. The “Treat Once and Treat Right” philosophy eliminates the need for multiple and possibly needless appointments.
Check with your insurance company to see if you can be reimbursed for hiring a professional service. DeLiceful will supply you with detailed statements to submit with your claim. No extra fees for holiday, weekend or evening appointments.
DeLiceful: The Most Effective Means to an End
Contact by email: firstname.lastname@example.org
By appointment only:
Suffolk County location:
1 Angelica Court
Hauppauge, NY 11788
Nassau County location:
216 Lakeville Road (Rear Cottage)
Great Neck, NY 11020
Effective. Confidential. Affordable.
Page Updated Last on: Jan 10, 2015