News By Tag
News By Place
FIRST® Robotics Competition Long Island Regional Kickoff Event at Stony Brook University
Nearly 75,000 High-School Students Worldwide Eager for Inventor Dean Kamen to Unveil 2015 Robotics Challenge. 50 Teams to Attend Local Kickoff Event in Stony Brook
Who: FIRST (http://www.usfirst.org/)
· The Stony Brook Kickoff event will include 50 teams. This event is one of 107 total Kickoff events taking place worldwide.
· The 2015 season will include nearly 3,000 teams (75,000 high-school students) participating in 105 Regional and District events. All teams, grades 9-12, will be shown the new 2015 robotics game field and challenge for the first time and will receive an exciting, new Kit of Parts made up of motors, batteries, a control system, and a mix of automation components – with limited instructions.
·Teams will have six weeks to design and build a robot to meet this year’s engineering challenge.
Dignitaries and public figures will deliver remarks on video and in person, including:
· Dean Kamen, President, DEKA Research & Development and Founder, FIRST;
· Dr. Woodie Flowers, FIRST Distinguished Advisor, and Co-Chair of the FIRST Executive Advisory Board; Pappalardo Professor Emeritus of Mechanical Engineering, Massachusetts Institute of Technology
· Donald E. Bossi, President, FIRST
· Deb Winter and Dave Johnson, FRC Directors, School-Business Partnerships of Long Island, Inc.
·Dave Ports, Coordinator, Stony Brook Kickoff
· Will Reece, Principal, School Construction Consultants
·Jeffrey Stern and Michael Canders, Members, Board of Directors, School-Business Partnerships of Long Island, Inc.
· Robert Kutka, Professor of Mechanical Engineering, Stony Brook University
· FIRST students & special guests
What: Accomplished inventor Dean Kamen (http://www.usfirst.org/
When:Saturday, January 3, 2015
9:30 a.m. to 10:30 a.m., Local Remarks (LIVE Stony Brook only)
10:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. Eastern Time, Comcast NBCUniversal Broadcast
Where*: Stony Brook University, Jacob Javits Center, Room 100, Stony Brook, NY *OPEN TO ALL MEDIA: If you would like to attend as media, please contact Hank Russell, PRMG New York at (631) 207-1057 ext. 110 (before day of event) or (516) 983-3890 (day of event) or at firstname.lastname@example.org.
· 107 Kickoffs in cities worldwide: U.S. and international FIRST teams will tune in via Comcast NBCUniversal broadcast and webcast. Access the webcast via http://www.comcastcorporation.com/
· To locate teams in your area, visit http://www.usfirst.org/
2015 FIRST Robotics Competition Kickoff Event Locations:
· For a listing of all local Kickoff locations, visit: http://www.usfirst.org/
Photo Opp.: FIRST will unveil the details of the new 2015 robotics competition game after the speaker program. Students take measurements on the new game field and inspect the challenge in order to develop strategies for robot construction, and to determine if they will play offense, defense, or both.
· High resolution photos of previous FIRST competitions are available in the Photo Gallery: http://www.usfirst.org/
· Photos available day of event after 2 p.m. Eastern Time by contacting Hank Russell, PRMG New York at (631) 207-1057 ext. 110 (before day of event) or (516) 983-3890 (day of event) or email@example.com.
· Interviews with speakers at the Kickoff event in Stony Brook available by contacting: Hank Russell, PRMG New York at (631) 207-1057 ext. 110 (before day of event) or (516) 983-3890 on the day of the event or at firstname.lastname@example.org.
About School-Business Partnerships of Long Island, Inc.
School-Business Partnerships of Long Island, Inc. (http://www.sbpli-
Accomplished inventor Dean Kamen (http://www.usfirst.org/
Hank Russell, PRMG