News By Tag
News By Location
Charleston Physician Highlights Ten Tips for Healthy Aging
Dr. Bright McConnell of FitMed Partners highlights tips for healthy aging. September is National Healthy Aging Month. Learn more at www.fitmedpartners.com.
1. Don’t act your age. Don’t dread aging but instead focus on of future as the best years yet.
2. Be positive in conversations and in actions every day. Starting to complain? Change the conversation to something positive.
3. Keep positive people close. Have negative friends who complain all the time and constantly talk about how awful everything is? Keep a distance. Instead keep happy, energetic, positive people of all ages around.
4. Walk like a vibrant, healthy person. Schedule a gait assessment. Often times people’s gait changes through the years, which can cause pain. It’s time to fix it. Try gait assessment at www.CharlestonSportsMed.com
5. Stand up straight! Look in the mirror. Remember, stomach in, shoulders back, and chin up. A person’s stance can be adjusted and bad posture can be corrected. Good posture makes the waistline look trimmer, too.
6. Smile often. Say cheese! Research shows people who smile often are happier. Good oral health is a gateway to overall well-being. Go to the dentist regularly and explore teeth whitening. A bright smile can take years off of someone’s appearance.
7. Lonely? Take steps to broaden social circles. Make a call to do one of these things: Volunteer, take a class, or invite someone to lunch or coffee.
8. Get tech savvy! Consider taking a class at a cell phone or computer store to stay on top of technology trends.
9. Find your inner artist. Always wanted to paint or play piano? Sign up now for a classthat will broaden the skillset.
10. Be proactive! Make this month the time to set up an annual physical and other health screenings. Go to the appointments and address any problems immediately. For an in depth age management evaluation, make an appointment with www.FitMedPartners.com